Prologue

I happened when I was 8, waking up to see my parents on the couch with the television on, watching intensely. Me in my pink pajamas, rubbing my eyes and whimpering over my ears hurting. My parents don't turn to look at me, they continue to watch the screen. A walk over to tug my mothers dress. But, I couldn't resist looking at the television and when I did I knew my life would change. The screen showed burning building, and people running towards police, truly anywhere they could go to be safe. A tall man was standing in front of the scene speaking. He had a suit on with a long tie, holding a microphone rambling about something. "Mommy, what is happening?" I say forgetting the pain in my ears as panic laces through my body. That is when the turned towards me their eyes told me I had the right to be scared. Fear was in their eyes, and their smile they tried to put on for me. Fear was all I could feel when they explained I had to get my stuffed animals and go into the panic bunker. Fear was there when I numbly got my backpack in my room and put a photo of my parents in the bag, two stuff animals, one a worn out elephant that I had for as long I can remember. I grabbed my small blanket and put it in my bag. Fear is what I felt as my parents zipped the bag up. They grabbed the leash for my dog off the front door and put it on him and handed me the leash. For being only 8, I never got the privilege of getting the leash of my 80-pound dog that liked to pull on the leash and bark. They opened the door and lead me to the bunker I couldn't help it. I broke as they put me on the bed in the bunker and told me not to leave. Only when an officer came to get me. I cried when they told me they wouldn't stay with me, they kissed me on the head and told me they loved me with all their heart. When they told me that Maverick, my dog, will watch over me until they can see me again. And when the walked up the stairs and I heard the door shut I cried harder.