The Troubled Girl

(Monday)

"Miss Hart, Mr. Friar are you ready to present?" Mr. Matthews asked.

Maya and Lucas both rose from their seats to stand at the front of the room.

"This week has been hard for me." Lucas began. "I just moved here from Texas so the way I kept in contact with all of my friends back home was by texting them throughout the day. Friday night I used my mom's phone to call my friend Zay in Texas, we ended up talking for 3 hours. I had never spent that long just talking to someone before."

"Did you learn something, Mr. Friar?" Mr. Matthews asked.

"I did sir." he nodded.

"Miss Hart."

"Communicating through the digital isn't the same as in real life. Sometimes we get so caught up with what's going on, on the screen that we forget what's real." Maya took the drawing that Lucas kept from his hand. "This is real." she showed the drawing of Riley and Farkle in the bay window. She was secretly happy that Lucas didn't bring out the picture she drew of him in the library there was something about it she didn't want other people to see.

"Very good Miss Clutterbucket and Mr. Friar. I believe you have earned these back." Mr. Matthews handed Maya and Lucas their cell phones back, and the class clapped. Maya and Lucas took their seats.

After class Maya chased down Missy. "Hey, Missy!" Maya called. Missy kept walking.

"Missy wait!" Maya ran after her. "Stop! I'm sorry!" Missy stopped.

"Are you?" Missy asked.

"Yes. I'm sorry I didn't try to switch partners with you. You're my best friend."

Missy smiled. "You're my best friend too. We shouldn't let boys like Lucas Friar get in the way of that right?"

Maya smiled. "You're right."

"Good."Missy gave Maya a hug. "Now let's agree to never talk to that stupid boy ever again."

Missy left before Maya could respond. Maya frowned as she walked to English. She had made up with her best friend but somehow it wasn't what she wanted.

(Lunch)

Lucas walked into the lunch room and frowned. Sitting at the lunch table with Missy was Maya and she looked every bit the part of Missy's lapdog again.

Lucas slid into a seat at the table with Farkle and Riley. They hadn't spent a lot of time together but they were the closest people he had to friends right now. Riley and Farkle gave Lucas a confused look.

"Mind if I sit here," Lucas asked.

"Not at all," Farkle responded. This school year had been full of confusing events. Missy gets in a fight with Maya and suddenly all the cool people want to hang out with him and Riley.

They ate their lunch in silence until Lucas piped up. "Do you know what's going on over there?" Lucas gestured to the table where Maya was sitting.

"Oh them?" Riley said. "It happens. Missy and Maya get in a fight they make up. It's a recurring theme for John Quincy Adams."

"But she doesn't usually pull Riley into it," Farkle added.

"What?"

"Don't worry about it," Riley said. "Farkle, it's fine." Lucas raised his eyebrow

"She went shopping with Riley yesterday and bought her new clothes. Now she won't even talk to her." Farkle explained.

"Missy?" Lucas asked.