5

“Where are we going?”

“You’ll see.”

“I see we’re heading to the airport. Are you planning to take me to Paris or something?”

He laughed. “No, not tonight. I plan on taking you some other time.”

“Oh, okay.” I still could not believe all the things that have happened to me in the past few hours. Tim confessed his love for me, and now we were on away to a place unknown to me.

We did not go straight to the airport; instead, we turned right on a dirt road which bordered the periphery of the airport.

“You know, I did not imagine my death to be like this.”

“Don’t be silly, Scarlett. If you were to die, I would make sure you would die of a pleasurable death.”

I was completely caught off guard by his remark, although my shock was quickly replaced by arousal. It was an alien sensation to me, but without a doubt, this man has the power to make me hot and flustered.

Once we exited the car, the cool breeze of the night danced on my bare shoulders. Strangely, I did not feel cold or have the impulse to shiver or keep myself warm. I inhaled deeply and was quickly accustomed to the cold, unfeeling night. I was surrounded by grass and weeds which have grown uncontrollably, and the airport was a more than adequate source of illumination.

Tim was sitting on the hood of his car, and he looked like he was a model since he was still clad in formal wear.

“Why are you laughing?”

“Oh, I was just thinking how you looked like a model. I mean, you have the car, the tux…”

He grinned boyishly. “Thank you, and I must say you don’t look so bad yourself.”

“Uh, thank you.” I smiled politely. I gracefully tried to lie beside him on the hood of the car. Thankfully I did not rip my dress or break any of my heels during my efforts.

We were both looking up at the inky black of the sky which was virtually void of any stars. I thought he brought me here to stargaze, but it seemed that he had another purpose in mind.

“Stupid light pollution, I don’t see any stars.”

“Don’t strain yourself. I didn’t bring you here for the stars, I brought you here…”

Then suddenly the whoosh of airplane engines drowned his voice, and as the plane glided on the runway, the turbulent wind in its wake nearly knocked all of the air out of my lungs. I could feel my heart frantically beating in my rib cage, and when the plane was in the distance, I finally regained my sense of hearing and heard him laughing.

“Oh my god, I missed this.” He continued laughing, but I was frozen in shock. He noticed my unresponsiveness, so he worriedly looked at me.

“Scarlett, hey, are you okay? Your hands are cold… Shit, what have I—“

I suddenly burst out laughing and jumped off the hood. I was walking around in circles and my laughing did not cease.

“You…” I pointed my finger at him accusingly. “You…” I continued laughing and gasping in between. “You are fucking crazy.”

He looked at me amusingly during my hysterical episode. I was mindlessly walking around and laughing out all my emotions as if I would feel better in some way. Out of nowhere, I felt his arms around me, and now we were dangerously close.

He tilted my chin so I could meet his gaze. “I must say, swearing becomes you.”

I was finally sober from my laughing episode, although I was still out of breath since after laughing my lungs out, his proximity virtually incapacitated my medulla oblongata.