Full Story

One

After the Autumn Feast

Fifteen-year-old Prince Neo Skyehawk met his best friend Seneca LaSalle on the landing of the spiral staircase leading to a corridor which took one to the Great Hall in The Palace at Radyr.

His eyes widened. "Whoa, you look—like I've never seen you before."

Seneca smiled. "First time I'd ever worn such a long skirt." She looked to her shoulders and arms. "Weird not seeing my tattoos, either."

"I think purple's your color. Brings out your blue-green eyes."

She strode past him. "You're such a kiss up."

He tore after her. "No, really."

In the Great Hall Neo's father, King Irvin, sat at the far end of a sleek table, chin resting on his fingertips.

Neo leaned into Seneca. "He's stressed over something."

She nodded. "Yeah, I've come to know his expression some over the past few months. Should we—"

Neo held up his hand. "I'll do it." He walked over to the other side of the table, Seneca in his tracks. "What's up?"

Irvin looked from Seneca to Neo. "Ruslan." He indicated a roll of parchment.

Seneca glanced at Neo and nodded.

Neo placed his hand atop the parchment. "Can I have a look?"

Irvin inclined his head.

Neo opened the roll and Seneca looked over his shoulder.

To the House of Skyehawk:

Have you any idea what your systemic withdrawal of military support has done? Arkaanaman is invading many Eurean lands and is marching over onto the Western Shore of the Atlantean. Your son's sheer recent recklessness has cost us the following:

1) A Permanent, foreseeable military alliance.

2) The Untouchable Caste has received word one of their own has fled to prosperity and are quarreling with military reserves.

His influence in your geopolitics is now causing the terrorist Arkaanaman Empire to expand their evil influences to the Western Shoreline. Would they take Atlantis next? Or go as far as Beyond the Western End of the World?

If the sheer latter is the case, have you any idea of the imperialism that will result?

Send me the right answer or there will be consequences.

Sincerely Yours,

King Ruslan

House of Romanoff.

Seneca bit her lip. "I'm every bit as guilty here. Had I not broken into Ruslan's Palace that day, turmoil wouldn't be developing."

Irvin ran a hand down his face. "Ah, if it wasn't happening now, I'm sure Neo here would've seen to it. Right, Boy?"

"Had you not forced a wedding between Princess Kia and me."

Irvin shook his head. "I'm sure the events would've played out. They call it fate."

Queen Zina entered the hall. "What he's saying, Seneca, is you're with us for a reason and a good one as well. If you were still meant to be in Tamuria, you'd be there. Aggie has always said."