Chapter 2- Rebirth

She was all he ever knew, his father? Non-existent, Achilles had never even seen him, he never wrote, he never called, and anytime Achilles brought him up Cyanna was dismissive. she often alluded to that "D" in French in grade 3 finals, saying "study yuh homework Mista" with her well oiled Trini accent. After a while Achilles stopped asking, stopped caring, as far as he knew, all he had was his mother and that's all he needed.

"Milk, tea bag, or Orange juice?"

"milk please mom"...

Cyanna started pouring into his favorite Harry Potter teacup it read (something really cool from Albus dumbledor) and as she did so something very strange happened.
The milk! Suspended in mid-air just above the rim of the teacup..!
Achilles noticed too now his mother stood motionless beside him pouring the suspended milk.
"Mom??" Achilles inquired
Still, Cyanna remained motionless stuck in time, Achilles heart rate raced rapidly, suddenly he remembered everything and as if his memories were an usher for him, Death spoke "ohhh lovely specimen your mother is"
Death wore a plain white tux, black bow tie to match his humor, and topped it off with a black and white pair of converse classics. His face still brown, his hair curly and short, his eyes the same white, haunting but beautiful pupils.

"you're, you're real!?" Achilles stammered.
"no, I'm not, this is all a figment of your imagination" he mocked also making a rainbow gesture with his hands.

"OF COURSE I'M REAL!" continued Death.
Achilles' mind began processing, death, the sphinx, HIS death, the challenges, the child! It was all too much his processor crashed and he blurted "AM I DEAD THEN?" WHY AM I HERE?? DID I NOT FAIL YOUR LAST TEST?? "

" Indeed you did, but do you remember what happened after? " Death asked.
It was strange, Achilles could not remember anything after Death telling him he had failed, he just remembered waking up as if it were all a dream." after? I just woke up here, didn't I? "

Death's left eyebrow rose quizzically " very interesting.." .. He muttered, "am I missing something?" Achilles asked.

"it appears that as faith would have it, we both are true"
"nevermind that boy," said death unconvincingly, "you are now one of my apprentices!"
"your first semester begins today!"

and with that the milk started pouring again, Death disappeared and Cyannna said "breakfast isn't that complicated yuh know?" referring to Achilles' bewildered expression.

Achilles snapped out of it and replied 'sorry mom, I just got a lot on my mind".

he ate his breakfast got dressed and headed to the bus stop unable to unable