Vinland and the Saxons

The knowledge of Vinland grew, and with it, the fantasised tales of its beauty and bounty, people from Great Britain, especially the Saxons who had been conquered by the Normans in 1066, sailed to Vinland during the migration period of 1140-1150, where over 2000 willing Saxons arrived, mainly under the sway of their own King William III, who wanted to expel the Saxons and clean the old ways from his kingdom. The leader of the Saxon migrants was the supposed bastard son of the uncrowned King of England Edgar the Ætheling, Edgar Adeling. Edgar and his Saxon bands travelled across the great sea to meet with Loftur and the nobility of Vinland. Edgar and the Saxons decided to settle further down the coast of Vinland to make better use of the fishing stock. The Saxon settlement grew from a minor, 100 men, to a massive 2000 in a decade. The Vinlanders settlement was only numbering close to a 1000 at the time so they had a lot to catch up on.

The Vinlanders throughout this time, constructed an advanced dock that protruded out of the settlements key district that contained the church and the houses of the nobility. The Saxon settlement, which was closely aligned with the Vinlanders, decided to swear fealty to the Vinlandic Commonwealth, but still had a large amount of autonomy. Edgar sent vessels to the island of Eriksland and decided to set up a trading post with the natives, granting some home in their village, which came to be known as Edgarsburg.

It is said that a war between two tribes of Beothuk (Skræling) had led to an intervention by the Abenaki people who invaded the coast of Vinland, forcing the Beothuk to ask for the military assistance of the nearby Saxons. The Saxons formed a military group they called the Saxon Band, headed by Edgar as captain. Edgar and his valiant band followed the Skræling into battle and were able to expel the Abenaki. The Saxons had triumphed over the invading Skræling, and now they sought to take the island as theirs. All of it.