Chapter 1: Turning Back

My name is Acacia Gilbert, and welcome to my journal. I am going to be sharing with you, my adventures with time travel.

I walked into my very first and only time machine, silently praying that it will work. I've been working on this time machine a year after my brother Noah, died, in year 2018, the 25th of September. He died in a mysterious house fire, that no one ever declared how it happened. I had the idea of creating my very own time machine and save Noah a little while after he died, I just didn't start action on actually doing it until a year after, when I decided it was about time. I didn't tell anyone about my project, because I knew that would just make me look completely insane. It is now the year 2026, 8 years after Noah's death. It's incredibly insane and fascinating that I am now standing in my time machine, 7 years after I started building it, finally accomplishing it. Of course, there had been several hiatuses of defeat, anger, and frustration, while building it. Sometimes I would even convince myself that it was such an idiotic idea, I would forget about it for months at a time. I eventually would snap out of it, and would get inspired to continue my hard work. I thought that if I told anyone, they would take advantage of it, use it for no good reasons, and take all the credit away.

My hand trembled as I placed in the year I wanted to go to, 2018, and the day. My palms started to get sweaty as I put in what place I wanted to go to, where I wanted the time machine to end up when I left it.
What would happen if this didn't work? There was an obvious extremely high chance that this won't work. I clicked the "travel" button anyway. I took a seat on the side bench and put on a helmet and protection gear as it started to count down from ten. The time I'm going back to I'll be about 16 years old, going 17.
I took deep breaths, trying to calm myself.
Four....three....two....one.
Bam.
My head felt like a rubber band, being stretched continuously, the worst of headaches, I don't think antibiotics could clear away this pain. My legs felt weak and flappy, like there was no bone in them. I felt like if I tried to stand up, I would collapse. The idea horrified me. I felt like if I opened my eyes, my eyeball sockets would burst. My ears popped, they felt like they were about to bleed. I felt like my body was on a stretcher.
The process was utterly exhausting.
Then, in the blink of an eye, it was over, and I was suddenly in...my old high school? I was in WestBrook high school, in the cafeteria it seemed.

The nostalgia hit hard.
I realized how much I missed these days, at the time I found it annoying and stupid to go to school everyday. Now, I really wish I could turn back to these days. I missed
my old friends. My old life.
I was interrupted from my thoughts when someone behind me said, "Acacia, when and how did you get here?" I turned around to see Sebastian, my old high school boyfriend. "I thought you were staying in to finish the exam?" He said.
"Oh" I said, shyly.
Sebastian had dashing brown hair and ocean green eyes. 5'11 and broad shoulders. Not completely unfortunate looking, if you ask me.
He put his arm around my shoulders. "It's like you came here out of nowhere!" He laughed gently.
"Haha" I laughed, and tuck my creamy light brown hair behind my ears.
"Is anything wrong? You don't seem like yourself, Acacia." He asked, concerned.
I gave a nervous laugh. "What makes you think that?"
We were interrupted from a voice coming from next to me.
"Hey, Acacia" it said. I turned and saw that it was my best friend from high school, Vivian. She pushed her somewhat nerdy glasses up to her chubby face.
I smiled. "Hey, Viv."
Vivian had dirty blonde hair and hazel brown eyes. She looked nerdy in a cute kind of way, with freckles and braces. She was sitting next to another one of our friends, Adric. Adric was African American, pretty short, dark brown eyes, a hands in his pockets kinda guy.
"Hey, Adric." I told him.
"Hey." He said smoothly.

We started conversation and it was fun and whatnot, and then, from the corner of my eye, I saw a 12 year old boy, about 5'2, brown hair, and the same light blue eyes as mine. He was sitting in a dark corner of the cafeteria, reading a book.
It was my dead brother, Noah.