CHAPTER 8...

As I approached the office building, an extra nervous spring in my step, I couldn't help but admonish my excitement. Sometimes I think about weird things. For instance, right now, while I am happy doing my own thing, someone out there could be dealing with a terrible and traumatic experience. And it makes me sad...

On the other side of the building, Elliot was stumbling into the lobby. Entrenched in thoughts of this new girl. Wondering if maybe she might be able to see his mind. His layers? And possibly help him to know what happiness was really like. Maybe even love? He mused in his mind, a small smile tugging at his lips.

I entered the foreboding building once again. Popped in my ear buds and put my favorite Washed Out album on blast. I sped through the lobby and made my way to the first open elevator. I slipped inside and didn't even need to push the button for my floor. Someone already had. The elevator was packed. I felt like a sardine in a tiny tin can. It was suffocating. I held my breath as I waited for my floor. Hoping that the next time I blinked I'd be there. When I finally deigned to breathe, there was this lingering scent. I liked it. A mild cologne? Sort of woodsy. Then my heart dropped. Today was Tuesday, and I remembered all over again about Elliot. Meeting him, what would it be like? Would I like him? More importantly, would he like me? Finally, the elevator doors pinged open and I was out like the wind. I fumbled with my earbuds, pulling them out of each ear, one at a time and stuffing them into my purse before reaching the All Safe doors. I pushed through and made my way to my desk. I was early again. Well, by 2 minutes.

Elliot was stuck in the back corner of the elevator when he finally arrived at his stop, quickly careening his way out. Barging through the crowd with his hoodie clad elbows. I hate people. He muttered in his mind. Or was that out loud? At least I'm finally free, he thought. He shuffled his way over to the office doors, taking one last last swig of semi-cold black coffee. Tossing the empty paper cup in a silver trash can he passed before entering inside.

I sat in my chair, rearranging the loose papers on my desk. I have to have order. I was kind of a neat freak like that. And then began to turn on my computer monitor as the CPU booted up. While I was looking down at my notes from yesterday, that mild cologne scent popped up again. It permeated my nostrils. When I looked up, I was alone. Wondering where it stemmed from.

Elliot stumbled towards his desk. Pulling off his hulking backpack first, then removing the hood from his head before sitting down. Carefully fixing his hair in the monitor. He pulled out his iPod and ear buds and plugged himself in. He was into the band Television, at the moment. Something about their lyrics really got him. Once his computer was on, he went into his usual routine of reading code and programming. The music playing on a loop in his ears. He was on a roll. Trying to catch up with yesterday before whatever was in store for him later today bit him on the nose. Gideon was a nice boss but when he felt pressed or pressured, he got a little bit... pestiferous.