The Colour Of A Kiss

The Colour of a Kiss 

Copyright Majella McCloskey 2012

The delicate touch of deadly deceit 

Lay beneath a blanket of untold truth. 

Shimmering lies: what colour are they? 

Maybe they are the colour of a kiss.... 

Majella Sharkey

Prologue

I curled one strand of untamed hair around my tiny finger. I did that when I was thinking or nervous. If my memory serves me, I was only four at the time. The rushes in Brady's field grew higher than me. They give me shelter. I could create a whole new world out there. My world. I could make it whatever I wanted. I wish I could do that now.

Chapter 1 

Dublin February 2008 

'Cathy, what the hell is this?' I heard the familiar screech. 

Sally was waving the laminated design template accusingly as she crossed the room. 

'That my darling, is my new design for the 'Amorphous' cover. What's the problem Honey, don't you like it?' I replied tartly. 

'Like it, like it! What the bloody hell has that got to do with anything? It's great but there are four hundred million potential readers out there who won't have a flying clue where you are going with it! Sally barked. And yes, yes I am making a concise effort not to use the real "f" word!' She added noticing my raised eyebrows.  

She liked to stress her points, and her points were often stressed! She had a PhD in profanity.  

I loved doing illustrations; it wasn't part of my job, I done it as a hobby in the evening, art was really my first love, so to speak. It also saved the company a substantial amount of money in not having to tender it to an illustrator. 

'Ah ha, and there in lies the mystery! It will get them thinking, and we are targeting the thinkers, remember. This is no, lollipop and hemlines book, not a bleached blonde in sight. This is the thinking person's tome' I retorted. By the way we will be sufficiently happy with four hundred thousand potential readers, no need to exaggerate!' 

'Mmm' she acquiesced. 

'I know I'm right again! Hate it, but you know you have to live with it.....' I got up and did a little conceited bow. And we both laughed. 

'Besides, once they see Marsha Millers name on the cover, it is practically a done deal.' I added as I resumed typing. 

Sally flopped her oversized frame into the chair opposite me, it groaned in duress. 

'Yeh your right, well at least I hope you are. What do you actually think of the book? I personally think it's a heap of garbled shite.' Sally had pouted her lips and curled her face in distaste. 

'I don't think we should add 'garbled shite' to our press release next week!. In fact I am working on the cover synopsis now want to hear it?' 

'This'll be good; roll it' She crossed her arms over her ample bosom, and smirked in anticipation. 

I cleared my throat, in mock formality 

'Marsha Miller, exceeds herself. Amorphous, is a gastronomic fête in the exiguous offerings for the intellectual palate. She transcends literature to bring us to a new level of alternative thought.  

Amorphous is the story of a displaced girl lost in the subconscious of her own reality. Trying to thread tiny shards of realism she brings us on her journey through the labyrinths of her mind. Capturing the creation of thought at its most embryonic form.