Prologue

Okay this is my very first attempt at a novel and I have some crazy twists planned for this! Any feedback is greatly appreciated thanks so much!

The Gemini Project

Prologue:

SLAM. The double doors at the front of the building close with a metallic bang as the couple hurries out with a small baby clutched close in a car seat. The clicking noise of the couple's car unlocking echoes throughout the dark emptiness of the small parking lot that late night. One figure opens the door in the backseat and the other snaps the car seat into place, pulling the seat belt over and locking it in. The two figures hurry to the driver and passenger doors, casting worried and fearful looks back over their shoulders. They get in. The car doors shut and the two figures in the front seats of the car begin to whisper. They whisper - argue the way that they will many times later on. Their shadows, which are lingering over the dashboard in the moonlit night, cannot convey the worry on their faces.

"Just get out of here, John, I have a weird feeling about all of this. This isn't normal and we both know that. We knew it from the very beginning and we turned a blind eye to all of this. Maybe if we just get far enough away-"

"No Jeana, there is no such thing as far enough away. We are a test now, not a family. We have to hope that nothing will happen. We have to hope that nothing goes wrong. "

"Oh just drive, please just drive." The shadow hunches her shoulders forward, hands over her face.

The car's red taillights glow in the darkness of those still and lonely hours before dawn. As it pulls away, there is someone watching, who radios in as soon as it is out of sight. A sleek, black, government car pulls out onto the road, far enough behind the other car to not be noticed, and the driver of that car also radios in the position and direction of John and Jeana Calloway's vehicle.

In fact, there is a whole system of men with radios in all kinds of different cars just to make sure there is someone watching. There is someone watching as they exit the highway. There is someone watching as they pull into a truck stop - a bathroom break for the man named John and a coffee for the woman named Jeana. There is someone watching as John fills the car with gas and there is someone watching them as they continue on their route, planned by the brand new GPS Jeana's mother had given them for Christmas.

And, of course, there is someone watching as the car pulls into its drive just after dawn begins to break. There is someone watching as the new parents quickly unload their infant child and hurry it into the safety of the house. There is someone watching as the lights in the master bedroom go on. And there is someone watching half an hour later, when the lights in the master bedroom go off again. Actually, from now on, there will always be someone watching this house. This car. These parents. And especially this daughter.