Welcome Back!

CID BUREAU,

10 JANUARY 2017

7.00 A.M.

Daya entered the bureau early, as he really missed the bureau and his work due to a fateful incident. He was back to the bureau, after clearing an alleged accusation of the murder of a notorious criminal. He was really surprised, as none of the officers were present to receive him. He was holding the letter which ACP sir had given him, asking him to re-join. He headed straight to his seat and placed the letter on his table. Suddenly his eyes got stuck on a photo on his table, which had the smiling faces of himself and Abhijeet. He leaned back on his chair, closing his eyes and started recollecting the incident which happened the previous evening.

CID BUREAU,
9 JANUARY 2017
7.30 P.M.

ACP sir and Freddy were waiting for Daya, who was about to come from the court. After five minutes…

Freddy (facing the entrance, smiling): Sir, Daya sir is coming.
Daya acknowledged Freddy and walked into ACP sir’s cabin. He stood silent seeing ACP sir.

ACP (smiling): Welcome back, my boy. Once again you’ve proved yourself. I knew that you’ve not murdered Kundra. But, some criminals made us fools by making all the evidence turn against you. What to do? Sometimes we are bound to law, we need to believe evidences and that’s why we couldn’t help suspecting you.

Daya (in a calm tone): Sir, this is not a new thing for me. Our job is like that. We have more unseen enemies rather than known enemies. Sometimes, we fail to identify those enemies. That’s the reason, why I got caught this time. I learnt an important lesson, sir. Trust is not only a person’s strength, but it’s also his weakness.

ACP (little embarrassed): Sorry, Daya. I can understand your situation. I am assuring you that I won’t let such things happen to you in future. Once again, Welcome back Daya. Here’s your order for re-joining. Come and re-join tomorrow. You can take rest today. I have to report to the headquarters immediately. So I’m leaving now. All the best, Daya.

ACP sir and Daya came out of the cabin. ACP left the bureau. Freddy stood smiling at Daya. Daya neared Freddy, smiling at him.

Freddy: Sir, I was praying for you to come back soon. I was really scared that you won’t come back.

Daya (smiling): Freddy, will I leave you easily? I was waiting for the day, when I will be teasing you on regular basis.
Daya turned towards entrance smiling, but his smile faded as he saw Abhijeet standing in the entrance. Suddenly he thought about the day when he got arrested by Abhijeet in front of everyone.

FEW DAYS EARLIER

Daya was accused of murdering a notorious criminal named Kundra. Most of the evidences were against Daya. ACP started questioning Daya in front of everyone. Daya pleaded that he didn’t kill Kundra.

Daya (in a pleading tone): Sir, I didn’t murder him. Please believe me. Abhijeet, you know that I didn’t murder him, right?

Abhijeet: How can I say that, Daya?

Daya: What do you mean Abhijeet? Are you suspecting me?

Abhijeet (with hesitation): I can’t say anything. But, according to the evidence we got…

Daya: So you too didn’t believe me. You’re trying to say that I have killed Kundra. (To ACP) Well, you can arrest me, Sir. I am ready to face anything. Unless, you believe me, I am ready to stay in prison.

ACP signals Abhijeet to arrest Daya in front of everyone. Daya stared at Abhijeet with his tearful eyes.

Suddenly Daya’s thoughts vanished like a dream. Daya remained indifferent seeing Abhijeet and left the bureau fast, ignoring Abhijeet. Abhijeet shouted “Daya, Daya…” and started running towards him, but Daya left the bureau as fast as he could. Daya didn’t pick the phone calls made by Abhijeet.

CID BUREAU,
10 JANUARY 2017
7.15 AM

Daya opened his eyes. He took his smartphone and started checking for messages, mails and calls. He didn’t get any call from Abhijeet after previous night. He sighed and picked the re-joining letter and opened the cupboard to keep the letter inside. While he opened the cupboard, he was surprised to find a flower bouquet and a ‘Sorry’ card. He took out the flower bouquet which had a card written, “Welcome back, my dear friend”. Daya’s eyes wandered to see if anyone was there, only to find none. Then he opened the beautiful ‘Sorry’ card, which had a letter inside it. He eagerly took out the letter and started reading it. The letter was written as follows,

Dear Daya,
‘Sorry’ is a word which is not just enough to express my feelings. I know that just a ‘sorry’ is not enough to heal the pain which I caused you. You may say that there’s no necessity of ‘Sorry’ and ‘Thank you’ for true friends. At the same time, a true friend is someone who trusts his friend, even when the whole world is against him. The day when I arrested you, I stood in front of you as a CID officer and not your friend. I might have appeared stern on the day you got arrested, but I felt an unbearable pain, deep inside my heart, which I cannot explain in words. My inner heart knew that you were innocent. Being a CID officer, sometimes we have to face an inner conflict between emotions and reality. I have reasons to justify for what I had done to you, as a CID officer but not as your friend. Without you, my life is incomplete. I may not be the true friend as you think, but I will be your friend till my last breath. Sorry is a small word to say, for not trusting you, so I will even give my life to you, since I’m alive because of you. I’m not asking for a chance, but I promise you that I’ll never let you down, till my last breath. Sorry for hurting you and causing a great pain. Welcome back, my dear friend, and I’m waiting to keep up my promise which I made to you.

Yours lovingly,
Abhijeet.

Daya thinks for a while, staring the letter and says to himself, “Abhijeet, I’m not angry with you. I am not a heartless person to misunderstand you. But I couldn’t believe that you stood against me. I just lost confidence in myself. One word of support, would have made me face the problem, with more courage. Even I felt the same as you, when you got accused many times. I’m not going to blame you for anything. But sometimes, we lose control in our emotions and that’s why we hurt our loved ones, without worrying about the consequences. I must ask you ‘Sorry’ for what I have done to you yesterday. You did your duty as an officer, but my emotions made me insane. Sorry, Abhijeet. I won’t leave you. Whatever you’ve mentioned in the letter, is applicable to you as well.”
Then he picks up the phone to call Abhijeet. He moves near the window, waiting for Abhijeet to attend the call.

Daya (in an eager tone): Hello… Hello, Boss…

There was no reply from the other side. But the call was attended. After few seconds…

Abhijeet: Yes, Daya.

Daya took his mobile from his ear for a moment, as he felt hearing Abhijeet’s voice very closer. He turned and got stunned to see Abhijeet, who was standing behind him. Daya cuts the call and hugs Abhijeet with a smile as well as tears in his eyes.

Daya: Sorry, Abhijeet.

Abhijeet: No, Daya. I’m very happy that you came back. I heard everything whatever you said to yourself. I didn’t have the courage to face you, Daya. But I hoped that everything will be alright.

Daya: Leave it, Abhijeet. I know you made a great effort to bring me back. I spoke with Salunkhe sir today morning. He told me everything. Atleast you could have met me.

Abhijeet: I promised myself to meet you as a CID officer. It was painful to see you as a culprit. I just wanted to put the real culprits behind the bars. This is the day I was eagerly waiting for. Okay, let’s go for lunch, today afternoon.

Daya: We have some important cases. Will ACP sir allow us?
“Sure” said ACP while he entered with Freddy, Purvi and Pankaj. Dr.Salunkhe and Tarika came behind them.

Abhijeet: Sir, really?

ACP: Yes, we will join you. But you have to settle the bill, Daya. We are going to celebrate your arrival.

Daya glanced at Abhijeet once. ACP replied, “If you don’t accept this, then I will prepare Bindi Bhajji for all of you. Is that Okay?”

Duo became embarrassed and after few seconds, everyone burst out in laughter.
THE END.

=============================
I don't know how many of you read it already. Please pardon me if you are reading it for second time. And don't forget to check my next post which will be surprising... See you all in the next post... 😊😊😊