Chapter 1: A Worlds End

If 2018 wasn't already a shit year things got worse. An unknown virus has been spreading across the globe like wildfire. Doctors have been trying to find a cure but it was moving so fast they couldn't cure it in time.

"As the virus epidemic rages on, scientists have discovered a new phenomenon amongst the dead. Witnesses have claimed to see the dead rising and walking. Some are scrambling for shelters, others are rioting against the government believing they have truly given up."

People were evacuating major cities. Traffic jams as far as the eye could see. Nothing to keep people entertained except the radio.

People on social media have been sharing videos and pictures of the zombies that have been walking around. No one wants to sleep at night.

My family has been packing up to move to the country with my grandparents. My mom and dad have been arguing a lot recently.

"We should go to Ohio! Safe zones are being set up there, it's perfect." My dad argued.

"Ohio?! There have been more reports of the dead walking around there than anywhere!" My mom shouted back.

"The military is taking care of this!"

"They aren't doing shit! We are left on our own now! We are going to the country and that's final!" My mom walked away as my dad sighed.

"Lauren please pack your stuff." My dad said sounding a bit down. I nodded and walked upstairs to my almost empty room.

I'm an only child. No siblings, barely any friends, and an arguing family. Gotta love life.

It was Sunday afternoon. Even though a virus is killing people we still have school. I packed my bag and finished packing my boxes. I slept on a small air mattress near my back wall with a blanket and a pillow. Nothing too special.

"Lauren! Dinner is ready!" My mom called from down stairs. I quickly walked down the stairs and sat down at the table. My mom sat down next to me, handing me a plate of chicken and rice.

"Where's dad?" I asked. My mom sighed angrily and shook her head. "He went out with his friends." She responded. I nodded and we ate in silence.

I knew where my dad really was. He was at the bar drinking again.

"Where are we going?" I asked shyly. My mom looked down at her food. "We are going to your grandparent's farm. It's safe out there." She replied. I nodded and finished my dinner.

I sat on the couch and pulled out my phone. Me and my two friends had been talking about this virus for a while now.

Marie: Did you hear about the attack in Florida?

Sarah: Yea. I saw the vid. Creepy stuff.

Me: Are you guys moving?

Sarah: I'm moving to Hawaii. My parents say it's the safest place right now.

Marie: My family is still deciding. We were thinking about Russia but the death counter says otherwise.

Me: I'm going to the country side. Wish I could go with you guys...

I sighed as they changed the subject to school. I turned off my phone and laid on my mattress.

"Why must these things happen?" I mumbled. Down the hall I heard my mom talking to her friend over the phone.

"The jackass isn't responding to my texts.....yea I have to break the news to Lauren still......no she doesn't know about Bryan.." Bryan?

"I'm taking Lauren out to his country house.....yes it's safe....my parents are coming down here too." She lied.

I pieced together the puzzle. Mom and dad are getting a divorce, and mom has already moved on. I sat up in my bed and looked around the empty room.

"What's the point anymore?" I mumbled to my self. I picked up a small necklace my dad gave me for my birthday. It had a star charm on the end of it. I held it close to my chest and wept silently until I fell asleep.