Chapter 3: The Party

After I got home my mom returned to work. I was given strict instructions to check that I had everything ready to go and to stay home. No one had heard from my dad in a while and I was getting worried. The town is on edge now due to rumors of more infected being spotted. I switched on the news and immediately the topic was the infected.

"A school in Austin Texas was forced into lock down today as an infected individual managed to break into the school. Authorities have since resolved the issue but more reports are coming in of infected in that area." That was today's attack. I was there.

My phone started ringing as Sarah was calling me.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Lauren I was just told that the party starts at nine. Your still coming right?" Sarah asked excitedly.

"Yea I'm definitely going to be there." I replied.

"Awesome! See you there." Sarah ended the call.

I sighed and flopped on to my mattress. I started scrolling through social media and one article caught my eye. It was a full analysis of the virus and it's effects.

The virus has yet to be identified as any currently known virus but scientists have confirmed its symptoms and effects on the human body.

In the first stage the virus spreads through the blood stream. In stage two the nervous system is infected and the brain is corrupted and completely taken over. In the third stage the skin turns pale as the body beings decomposition. In stage four the person is gone and a mindless body is left over. The infection rules the body.

If a person is scratched or bitten the infection will spread through the injury. Symptoms become noticeable in the first hour of an infected injury. The infection takes two hours to completely turn someone. The only option at that point is to detach the brain or head from the body by any means necessary.

This was a shocking read. Many people had already commented on the article with theories and opinions. People were shocked and nervous to venture outside their homes.

I was afraid to leave tonight but despite my better judgment I went. The party was in full swing when my friends and I arrived. People were drinking their minds out, some guys were getting high in the corner, and someone managed to swing from the chandelier in the living room. In the backyard people were doing flips into the pool and getting waisted.

"Woah this is insane!" Sarah exclaimed. We all had a good walk around the house. Marie spotted some of her other friends and walked off with them. Sarah found another friend of hers and eventually disappeared in the crowd. I was alone in a strangers house in the middle of a wild party.

"Yo! The cops are coming!" Someone shouted. The music was cut, everyone fell silent. Red and blue lights shone through the windows and bounced off the walls. The lights stopped moving and doors could be heard slamming shut.

"Austin police! Stay right where you are!" An officer shouted. Another officer shouted and gun shots went off. Everyone started freaking out. People ran out to the backyard and jumped the wall, some ran out the front door, and others hid inside the house. I stayed near the front door and waited for my friends.

Then that dreaded word entered the air.

"Infected!" Someone shouted from the backyard. Everyone ran back in and scattered. The police busted in and helped evacuate everyone. Then I saw it. The zombie tackled the first person it saw and bit into their neck. Another broke a window and chased whoever it saw. I caught a glimpse of my friends running out the door so I followed.

Multiple police and a Swat team were outside helping the party goers and taking out the infected. I ran home and slammed the front door behind me. Thankfully my mom was "working late" tonight. I slide down the door and cried into my hands.

"Fuck!" I shouted. I bawled until I had no more tears.

Eventually I went to my room and called my friends. Marie was fine and Sarah said she was ok. After hours of tossing and turning I finally fell asleep.