11 - I wanted to see you again

Shen Wei wavered. Can he really come into the house? Was it really okay for him to mingle with his life? After running around, trying to find the correct building, he finally recognized the correct one and he was relieved. But now uncertainty and nervousness overtook him again. 

"It is rather cold outside. We can talk inside with a hot cup of tea," Yunlan repeated his invitation and hold the door open for Shen Wei to come in.

Shen Wei nodded. "I am not going to loose anything again."

While Yunlan was busy preparing the hot beverages Shen Wei sat in the living room and wondered how it was possible he felt not only welcomed, but also familiar to the place. The diplomas on the wall, the photos on the mantelpiece, the candles on the table... he already saw it all and for some odd reason it remained in his memory till now just like that, making him warm.

"I wanted to thank you... for taking care of me," Shen Wei said once Yunlan joined him and handed him a steaming cup of loose tea. Shen Wei had no idea how such tea tastes. He had no recollection of even drinking tea in the past few years. He took the cup to warm his hands and was surprised by the aroma that hit his nose. "This..."

"You are welcome," Yunlan smiled and noticing Shen Wen was staring into the tea he added: "It is Oolong tea. I apologize if you do not like it. I am afraid it is the only tea I have at home right now."

Shen Wei shook his head. "This tea is perfect. Thank you." He looked at the bag Yunlan brought with him. "The shirt is clean. I do not need it anymore, so I brought it back." Shen Wei was glad he found it as an excuse to come and meet him again.

"I gave the shirt to you. It is yours," Yunlan shifted the bag to the other man.

"I-I think you need it more now," Shen Wei smiled shyly and Yunlan realized he was still wearing the bathrobe he quickly put on to answer the door.

"Your smile is just as I imagined it to be..."  Yunlan thought to himself. He was feeling a bit cold, but his heart was warming his body upon seeing that smile on Shen Wei's lips. "I was in the shower when you came...," his voice trailed off. "I thought we will never see each other again."

"Me too...," Shen Wei admitted and moved the bag back in front of Yunlan. "Take it."

Yunlan glanced over the bag's content. It was, indeed, the shirt he gave Shen Wei earlier. "I bought it for you, so it is yours. Do not try to argue about this. It is not my size anyway." Yunlan put the bag next to Shen Wei's leg to close this ridiculous disagreement over a piece of clothing. Shen Wei wanted to push the bag to him again, but when he reached out to do so their hands touched.

"Does it still hurt?" Yunlan asked and slowly took Shen Wei's injured hand into his own. He recognized the bandages. "You did not replace it?" he shrieked in horror. Shen Wei only shrugged. "An infection. Do you know what that is?!" Shen Wei wanted to protest that he was busy finding him and some replacement of bandages was not the to-do-list, but Yunlan got up fast, his lips firmly closed and Shen Wei sensed he was angry. "I will take a look at it. Do not move. Wait here."

Yunlan went to get the first aid kit, feeling a bit embarrassed for his sudden explosion of angry emotion. He just could not stand the view of unattended injuries. And it made him even angrier it was Shen Wei's injuries that were not taken care of properly. Yunlan would be glad if the man went for a hospital check-up to make sure the injuries are healing and nothing was wrong, but he knew Shen Wei did not do it. His fear of hospitals and doctors prevented him from taking a proper care of his own health. And if that was the case, Yunlan had to step in and take care of him himself.

When Yunlan returned to the living room Shen Wei was in that exact same position as he left him. Even his hand was placed in mid-air where Yunlan let go of it. That view made Yunlan's heart ache with regrets over his harsh reaction.