Chapter 10

Mara's POV

"Gir,l here, drink this" my tummy giggles smelling the milk on the cup "You see, not everyone here knows to treat their visitors well. But I do, because that is how I was brought up and that is I how I have brought up my sons" Juwairiya's boasting shouldn't starve my tummy a second more, I think and then I grab it to empty it. The almond powder that has been added to the name didn't fail me to make me happy today. Habeeba was right, hunger is worst. But today it was beyond that. It is not the same that you starve because you have no food and you lie your tummy is not okay when you were almost forced to eat and when you badly need it too. Yet I don't regret for the lie told to Ummi Asma . If not I have forced her to eat the roti saying it would go in vain she would have left to the fair with an empty stomach as usual.

"Girl, I know what you think of" I get back to earth as Juwairiya's coarse voice rings on my right. "You have never tasted such an aromatic milk, right? This is almond milk" I let the cup go as she grabs it, pride in her eyes. "This is the first time you taste an almond milk, huh? Okay, okay, let's start the work, you see I have hell a lot of works to be done" I couldn't stop pitying her. But she boasts because she has much more things to be boasted of compared to that of Ummi Asma.

"How is my house?" I drop my gaze down as she senses that my eyes wander through it.

"urgg.. it's beautiful" I say honestly.

"I know anyone will love this house. You see my husband worked for the king before his death and two of my sons work for him now. No one in this area was ever chosen to work under the king of Azeeziya. But they chose my sons. Do you know why?"

"No, I don't know" I shook my head.

"Because, they chose only the brave, trustworthy ones to work under the king. You see, that is how I have brought them up"

"Oh how good" I smile and then take a pause. After two three rehearsals I open my mouth again to ask what I really wants to. "Is there anyone here who knows, I mean someone who works for the king, I mean for the king of sala-hiya here?" my lips quiver as finishes the last word. Salahiya!

"Salahiya? Well, I don't know girl. But Maimoona was saying her husband worked for the king of Salahiya. May be she was lying or may be a truth. I don't know. You see, I have no time in sticking my nose on other people's lives. So girl does your parents live at Salahiya?"

"Urgg..No, No. I was just curious that's all. They live on the other side of the woods" I lie her praying that her eagle eyes should withdraw its gaze from me. It's so bad, telling lies. I have been taught so by Habeeba. But, I'm not in a situation to trust anyone that soon.

"How did Asma's abi die?" I ask trying to hide my guilt.

"I don't know all those things, didn't I tell you I hardly have time to stick my nose other people's life. But Maimoona was saying he died because of a kind of flu" Juwairiya 's answer disappoints me because I'm sure this is a fabricated news. But why has she told lies about her husband's death? What if it is the truth? If it is the truth, why should she keep it from Yahkoob?

"Girl, shall I teach how to knit these caps" Juwairiya's voice joins my ears interfering my thoughts.

"Okay" I nod reluctantly for I already know it.

"Juwai" I freeze my word in half seeing her brows rising "pardon, I mean how can I call you"

"Call me as Ummi Gazzali. Gazzali is my sweet, brave eldest boy" she adds with a frown mixed with pride.

"Ummi Gazzali, that suits you well you see" I force a smile so I can work my plans further. "Don't you miss your sons Ummi Gazzali? I mean how do you really contact them, I mean in case you want share some important messages?"