Chapter 2

Dan spent the next month sitting in bed as the summer holidays arrived. All of July and August couldn't go any slower, and as the days ticked away, and Dan became more and more reclusive, his family came to the sudden realisation that he would have to actually buy his school supplies. In the letter, it had told them to find a dank old pub that if no one knew to look for it, you wouldn't know it was there.

For Dan, this was the biggest step in becoming a wizard. It meant getting rid of school books and pens, and buying things like Cauldrons and Quills. They found their way to Diagon Alley, and when they reached the brick wall his parents spoke up."Well, you need to buy your things on your own now. You're 11 anyway, so you're old enough. We can't come in, we're 'muggles'." Dan waved goodbye, and caught sight of a boy with a strangely deep blue eyes, and...alone? His dark quiff stood out, and he swooped his hand through his hair, making eye contact with Dan. He smiled, walking over to him.

Dan noticed that he was in ordinary clothes. "Hey. I saw you come in. I just got here too, wanna go round together?" Dan nodded politely, and they made their way down the incredibly packed Alley. It turned out his Uncle was a Wizard, and had left him some money, but he wasn't quite sure how much. They entered Gringotts and were shocked to see it ran by goblins. Dan spoke to the goblin, and he beckoned for another Goblin to come and assist. "Vault 327." Said Dan. The stranger spoke up. "Phil Lester, Vault 912." Phil turned his head to look at Dan. He gave a broad smile, and the Goblin led the way to a cart. "Vault 327. Step out." They stepped it of the cart and approached the well decorated door. "Key." Dan handed it over. The Goblin took the key, putting it in the keyhole while murmuring something inaudible. Magic? As the door melted away, they revealed a mountain of gold, a sea of silver, and a stack of bronze. Dan pulled out a sack, and started putting coins in it. "Bloody hell, mate! You're rich!" Exclaimed Phil. The Goblin shot them an angry and disapproving look. "Get back in the cart." They sped away towards Vault 912. Phil's Vault. The Goblin took the key and unlocked the door. What it revealed actually surprised him. He had been shocked at the money in his Vault, yet in his Vault too was a considerable pile of coins! He got to work with bagging it up. After they finished, they headed back out along Diagon Alley. "Madame Malkin's." Announced Phil. They walked in and were instantly greeted by a sweet lady, who's magical tape measured them, and she had them fitted and leaving the shop with their (rather large) uniform in less than 5 minutes. "Time for books." Dan smiled when Phil said this. "Ah, books, the cure to all evil." He laughed. "Thank God you love books. I would've left here and now if you didn't!" Phil smiled as he said it.

They entered Flourish and Blotts. Books flying everywhere, somewhat like a library. Essentially, heaven for geeks like them. They bought what was on the list, and Dan bought a few extra books about quidditch, then left. Now, it was time for their wands. They entered Ollivander's, and Dan was hit with a sudden rush of excitement. "Phil, this is it. The key to our futures!" Then, a sudden noise from behind them made them turn. "Gentlemen! How can I help?" Ollivander spent the next few minutes incessantly trying out wands and muttering things like "Nope. Apparently not." to himself. Then, Ollivander's face lit up.
"10 inch, Phoenix Feather. Yew. I believe this is the one." He gave Dan the wand, and his heart nearly skipped a beat. His body felt warm, and he knew that this wand had 'chosen him' as Ollivander described it. Phil ended up getting a "9 and a half inch, dragon heartstring, birch." wand which Dan felt suited his personality. "Phil..." Phil looked up when he heard his name. "Have my number." Phil smiled when he heard it, and Dan saw his eyes light up in happiness when he said "Ok." Dan saved Phil as a contact, texting a simple -"Hello. -D"

"Well, Phil, it's been nice to meet you. Thanks for everything. I'll see you on September the 1st. Platform 9 and 3/4s. Dan waved as he looked back, before heading out to the bustling streets of London to meet his parents. "Hey sweetie, how was your day?" Asked Dan's mum. Dan smiled and said "It was...fantastic." Uncle Bernie left a LOT of money. I got my Wand. I met a friend." His parents hugged him. "Oh Danny. We're so happy. By the way...how the hell are you supposed to get to Platform 9 and 3/4s?"

Dan opened his mouth to answer before coming to the realisation that he didn't even know himself. He composed a quick text to Phil. "Shit...how do we got to platform 9 and 3/4s?" Phil replied instantly. "Go to King's Cross, meet me between platforms 9 and 10 at 10:55.-P" Dan smiled. Phil really did have his back. He was glad about that. The final 2 weeks trawled by, and Dan spent the entire 2 weeks reading his new books. He took the liberty of reading the quidditch books he bought, Hogwarts : a History was read at least twice, while all the others must have been read cover to cover at least 4 times. He just couldn't wait for school to start and for his new life to begin.

Eventually, however, after 2 weeks of waiting, it was August the 31st. He could barely sleep. He woke up at 6am, got dressed and showered, and took his trunk down to the front door. He then sat down on the sofa and opened his phone. He had just one notification. A text from Phil! Dan opened it immediately, smiling.

"Dan! I assume you couldn't sleep either, how are you feeling? Nervous? Excited? Both? Well, I am. I can't wait to see you again. How about we sit together on the train? -P"

Dan texted back : "I'm so excited that my face is about to explode. Glad you texted. And BTW, yes Phil. I'll sit with you on the train. Besides. Who else would there be to sit with? Though I must warn you, sometimes I'm no fun. I zone out and focus on my book or I just might get caught up in my day dreams. Funnily enough, having magic was a daydream of mine. See you at 10:55.-D" He hit send, and smiled. His dream was about to come true.