07 - The Festival

"And that's all you know?" Hijikata confirmed.

"Yes." Hisashi responded after recalling everything that occurred on the bus.

"Alright. You've been a great help." Yamazaki concluded. "You're free to go after you sign the witness statement."

Now that the only ones left in the interrogation room were the two police officers, Hijikata tried to put the pieces together. Yamazaki briefly left the room to get some snacks. He returned to see that the Vice Chief was still boring a hole into the written witness statement, the same pose he held when Yamazaki left.

Hijikata felt that the man in red's resemblance to his missing fiancée was strange. Sometimes, there were people in the world who looked like each other but had no familial ties so he dismissed the thought. However, he recalled Mitsuba's nickname for her little brother was Sou-chan. That couldn't just be a mere coincidence.

"Okita Sougo. That has to be him." Hijikita muttered.

Slightly nervous, Yamazaki tried to lighten up the mood by sharing his snacks.

"Hijikata-san, I brought back some mayo-flayored sausages~"

"Don't think I've forgotten that you lost the suspect for the nth time." Hijikata glared at him. "Speaking of, wasn't that suspect wearing a red kimono too?"

Yamazaki froze just as he was about to reach out for his favorite anpan.

"Ah!" He stood up. "It's him! It's him! I know that back from anywhere!"

"And you only recall something that important now?!" Hijikata growled at losing a potential suspect when they were within arm's reach. "YAMAZAKI!" He flipped the table in anger. "Seppuku, now!"

[ooo]

"-san! Okita-san!" Sougo was jostled awake by the lively girl beside him.

"Look! Look!"

When he forced his eyes open, the morning light blinded him. At first, he was puzzled. He was used to spending most nights awake, wary of his surroundings. He had planned to remain awake for the rest of the bus trip in case any other incidents occurred, but he unexpectedly gave in to his exhaustion. Not to mention, last night was the most restful sleep he's had in years.

Could it be...?

He looked at the overexcited girl beside him.

Last night, she was pestering him to rest, but he adamantly refused. She even went as far as forcing him to close his eyes and performing her "sure-fire magic spell" on him. He felt her fair fingers touch make contact with his forehead for a few seconds and the next thing he knew he had entered dreamland. He didn't believe in magic but whatever she did to him was clearly effective. She was definitely a force to be reckoned with.

"Okita-san, is this a festival? What is it for? Can we go there?" She urged him while pointing to the bustling scene outside.

Like he predicted, they arrived in time for the last day of the Tanabata festival at a neighboring village. The streets were lined with all sorts of colourful decorations from streamers to lanterns. Since the sky was still bright, they weren't lit up yet.

"Can we visit the festival, please? Pretty please!" She begged.

Sougo watched her pull an irresistible pout.

"You don't need to beg." He rubbed her head. "I already planned to go there with you."

"Yes!" She ran to the exit as soon as the bus reached the bus stop.