Chapter 1

Eloise Friedman kept coming back to the small pier outside her family's old beach house. She'd go there every Friday afternoon, right after she had band practise. It was quite a beautiful spot. You could dip your toes in the lake water without any fear of ravaging sea beasts biting them off. You could sit and think without any city noise to disturb your thoughts. It was a spot filled with serenity and love. By just looking at the endless lake that stretched until it met the mountain in the distance where the sun often played hide-and-seek.

Though these weren't the reasons Eloise returned to the pier. She returned not to find peace but to visit her sister. The Friedman's frequently visited their beach house in the summer but Eloise, her sister and her boyfriend, Charlie- who happened to be a childhood friend of theirs- tended to sneak up there for the seldom times the lake would freeze over. One Friday afternoon, the trio made their way to the pier after having lunch. Their parents were lost in each other's company, so they hadn't noticed the kids sneaking off. Mrs. Friedman had warned them many times to be careful of the lake, she didn't see it as one of nature's beauties but as an icy death waiting to happen. Nonetheless, the girls went, dragging Charlie along with them.

Eloise sat on the edge with her feet dangling just above the glassy ice. She tried to control her breathing as she hugged herself to keep warm. She found herself biting the inside of her cheek every time her sister squealed at Charlie's antics to kiss her. She had done more than that when he had kissed her. They had done more than kissed, something she knew she had of him that her sister didn't. She was too conservative for her own good. Images of Charlie's hands on her began to flood her mind and Eloise could feel the blush creep up her neck and cheeks.

"Are you thinking of Isaac?" her sister asked, sitting down beside her. From the corner of her eye, she saw Charlie stiffen. His eyes on her.

She shook her head, "It's just cold." She said, staring into the distance.

"It's okay to miss him, El. He was your boyfriend for 2 years."

"I don't want to talk about him."

"For heavens sake, Eloise. He just got involved in the wrong things. He didn't mean to leave you, he loved you."

"Now he's dead." Eloise said, her voice laced with anger. She hardened her stare at her sister, "How's that for leaving Rebecca?" Eloise didn't wait for a response from her sister. She got up and marched pass a rigid Charlie, back up the hill to the beach house. It had been 3 months since Isaac died. Police said he was beaten up and shot in the head, after running into a rival gang. Eloise tried not to think of him much but her thoughts had a mind of it's own. They did what they always do: confuse her, trick her. So, she resigned to her bed for the next four hours. When she woke, a neon yellow note stared back at her. She recognised the loopy handwriting:

I'm sorry.

Meet me tonight at 10pm, by the pier.

I have a surprise for you. 

Eloise couldn't help the smile that crossed her face. She couldn't wait till tonight.