1.

Present

Marielle

"One more year. It's not even a year. Just some months with a lot of holidays in between," I was trying to convince myself that my last year of high school will be worth it. Standing before the full-length mirror, I rocked back and forth on the balls of my feet scrutinizing my outfit. The distressed denim was molded to my skin, the red hooded top made me feel naked, I can feel the air brushing against the bare skin of my back and tummy. The ankle boots my mother said looked great with the outfit was still in the box, just like all the others. The outfit made me feel exposed.

My parents even my adorable little brother saw something else other than the truth. Didn't they see what I see? Fat thighs that jiggled too much, I look like I squeezed into the jeans. I can literally feel the weight of my ass lowering the back of it. The red short hoodie was cute but it wouldn't be cute on me. The only thing I liked was my newly done braided hairstyle. Though my natural soft wavy hair was long I preferred to do braided styles or simply hide it under a hat. I learned my lesson in third grade, I will not go through that again.

"You look beautiful princess," The sound of my father's deep voice had me turning to the door. Habitually I folded my arms to cover my stomach in order not to feel exposed. "Getting old pops. Eyesight getting blurry," I quipped with a small smile on my face. As always he saw through my facade. My father was handsome, I can say that with pride. He was tall, lean muscular body, thick brown hair with streaks of grey with stunning green eyes. His skin was lightly tanned probably from his days on the construction site of his new hotel in the next town over. I was blessed with the same green eyes but lighter and I must say, those are the best features of me. I love my eyes the most.

Dad's smile dropped, slowly he made his way to me and placed his hands on my shoulder. "I wish you can see yourself through my eyes. You've allowed those kids to reign over your body too long. I may not feel what you're going through but I know," he said tugging at a braid. I have heard the story many times but I've still yet to exude that confidence my mother had when she was a teenager. Her confidence caught my father, well that and her beauty. He always brags about how he was a lucky man when she smiled his way in the hallways of their school. Not knowing she was crushing on him the tech-need of their school.

"Maybe they are right. Maybe I will try another diet or actually use our gym,"

My father said nothing, he simply held me in his arms and took a deep breath. "My princess has a heart of gold that she hides. My princess is gorgeous beyond a doubt. My little princess is too sweet for her own good if she can only see it." After my first horrible day of third grade, he kept up that mantra. Those words were my affirmations, words I should remember.  I never believed it though. I wasn't all those things.

"Thanks, dad. Tell mom I will be down for breakfast soon. Not really finished dressed," I stated pulling out of his hold.

"Sure princess," he said leaving me to my sulking. I quickly closed the door and locked it, taking off the clothes and storing them away. There was an entire side of my walk-in closet filled with clothes my mother purchased for me. She practically measured the size of my hips, waist, and boobs before going on a shopping spree. I didn't note the size of my assets, didn't want to put myself in a funk. When she returns I have to go through her own fashion show. I will admit the clothes are cute but I don't see myself in them. I feel foreign in my body when I do.

Finding something I felt extremely comfortable in I packed my backpack for the day, putting in at least three novels to read. Just in case.

I was about to leave my room when my phone buzzed in my hand. A smile lit up my face when I saw the caller ID.