1- The Chase

Author's Note: The songs at the start of each chapter are purely to set the mood. You don't have to listen to them, but it helped me!

Toni's POV

Running from the nuns, hand in hand with the girl I'd just kissed through a sewer tunnel was one of the most exhilarating moments of my life. Ahead of me, Veronica almost tripped in a pair of the highest heels I'd ever seen, as I held Cheryl closer to me. Outside, Kevin waited with a car, and we all sprang in. 

It was only then that I turned to get a good look at Cheryl. I'd wanted to be alone with her for a little longer, but she would have been trapped. Sacrifices had to be made. 

Even with tears down her cheeks and her hair in disarray, she was still the hottest girl I'd ever seen. Smiling, I thought to myself, I just kissed her. She slowly pulled out her hairband, letting her loose curls spring around her shoulders. Then, she turned too. 

"Are you staring at me?" She asked, eyes narrowed. I bit my lip and grinned. 

"I mean...it would be a crime not to," I whispered, trying to prevent the others from hearing. I failed spectacularly. Veronica rolled her eyes at me.

"Can't you wait till we get back?" She muttered. I smiled, and gently placed my hand over Cheryl's. She was clearly too exhausted to fight her feelings right now. She turned her hand to interweave her fingers with mine, and leant her head on my shoulder. Within about 10 seconds, I could her her steady breathing, and felt my own mouth upturn into a smile while she slept. 

"You're grinning like an idiot," Kevin said, checking his rearview mirror.

"I don't care. I have literal human perfection on my shoulder. Say what you want, I'm having a great time," I replied optimistically. Sure, it was the middle of the night, we were being chased by nuns and there was a killer on the loose, plus it turned out gay conversion therapy was still a thing, but it was worth it all if it meant I finally got to kiss Cheryl. I leant my head on top of hers, and felt myself slowly drift into sleep too.

I was awoken when the car abruptly stopped, and cautiously looked out of the window before realising where we were. At my trailer.

"I think you should take Cheryl," Kevin advised. "She probably really doesn't want to go home right now."

Veronica nodded agreement, but added, "don't do anything I wouldn't!"

I winked at her, smiling to myself. Now it would finally get to be just me and her. I even attempted to be all strong and romantic and carry her out of the car myself, but she was taller than me, and there was no way my short frame could hold her. I signalled to Kevin to help, and he reached into the car to pick her up. Suddenly, though, a fist came flying from her direction and hit Kevin in the shoulder.

"DUDE! What the fuck?" He yelled, before realising he was a sheriff's son in the Southside trailer park, and hurriedly turning silent.

I smiled, amused. 

"Sorry Kev! It must be a reflex!" she replied, hurriedly getting out of the car herself and touching his shoulder, concerned. 

Kevin shook his head. "I'm glad we managed to rescue you Cheryl, even if it was entirely Toni's doing."

Cheryl put her hand around my shoulder, and I felt her body weight as her tired body leant on me. 

"Come on," I said gently, wrapping my arm around her waist and leading her into my trailer.