I think they're just friends

Quick note; Chapter 7 ends the day before episode 2x18 'Anansi' and Chapter 8 is set the day AFTER it. There is a reference to the episode but I don't think there's anything spoilery that we didn't see in the trailer for the episode. 

P.s. You don't need to have seen the full episode for this chapter to make sense, though. Hope you enjoy. :)

Sunday morning arrived, and Adrien was exhausted. It had been a couple of weeks since Hawk Moth had akumatized anyone but yesterday he had akumatized Alya's sister, Anansi. Hawk Moth's villains seemed to be getting stronger, and yesterday Ladybug had to bring in another super hero. Adrien had found out later that night on the Ladyblog that the new hero called himself Carapace. It was nice to know they'd have back up if they needed it, but he hoped that none of Hawk Moth's villains would ever beat Ladybug and Cat Noir.

He dragged himself out of bed and went for a shower before heading downstairs to get some breakfast. Halfway down the stairs he heard his father call him.

"Adrien, come with me."

Adrien rolled his eyes and groaned as quietly as he could. What now? "Yes father." He walked back up the stairs as slowly as he could and then followed Gabriel in to his office.

"Sit, Adrien." He gestured towards the spare chair near his desk. Adrien sat down and then noticed a familiar looking box on the desk. Gabriel pushed it closer to him. "Have you seen this box before?"

Adrien pretended to be confused. "No father, what is it?"

"There was a very important book inside this box, which just and so happens to be missing. Are you sure you know nothing of this box?"

"I swear I haven't seen it before. What was in the book? And why would you assume it was me?"

"Do you really need to ask?"

The accusatory tone in his voice gave Adrien the answer he was looking for. "Because of the book about superheroes? You almost banned me from going to school. Don't you think I'd have learned my lesson from that?"

"I don't know, Adrien. Did you?"

"Yes, father. Maybe if you told me what the book was like or what was in it, I'd be able to help you look for it."

"What was in the book is irrelevant to you. It was in this box inside the safe. Nobody else could have gotten to it."

"Father, I swear..."

"Yes, yes. You haven't seen the book."

"You don't believe me."

"You haven't given me a reason to trust you."

"You can talk."

"Excuse me?"

"Nothing. Look, father. I didn't take your book. If you're that bothered about it, ask Mr. Bourgeois to send a message out to the whole of Paris to help find it."

"Enough of that tone with me, Adrien. I am disappointed in you."

Adrien wanted to snap back but decided to hold his tongue. It was best not to push his father too far. "I'm sorry, father. I'm just frustrated from being inside all the time. I didn't mean to snap at you." His stomach growled. He looked at his father, trying to make his look as apologetic as he possibly could. "Please may I leave now? I'd like to get some breakfast."

"Very well. You can go out with your friends today, for a few hours."

Adrien's eyes widened. "Really? I thought I was grounded?"