t h r e e

"Welcome." Carlisle greeted the wolves and me.

"Hi, I'm Aphrodite, and yes, like the goddess of love, and yes, I am pregnant, and no, you can not ask me any questions," I said.

Sam nudged me. "Oh, Thank you," I said for Sam.

I speak for Sam again. "We will watch and listen, but no more. That is the most we can ask of our self-control." I said.

"You can speak to animals?" Emmett asked.

"I can do more than that, and I said no questions," I replied.

"That is more than enough," Carlisle answered. "My son, Jasper, has experience in this area. He will teach us how they fight, how they are to be defeated. I'm sure you can apply this to your hunting style." He said.

"They are different from you?" I asked for Sam.

Carlisle nodded. "They are all very new, only months old to this life. Children, in a way. They will have no skill or strategy, only brute strength. Tonight their numbers stand at twenty. Ten for us, ten for you, it shouldn't be difficult. The numbers may go down. The new one fight amongst themselves." He said.

"Perfect."

"Even better."

"We can take on more."

The wolves said through the mind link. A rumble passed down the shadowy line of wolves, a low growling mutter that somehow managed to sound enthusiastic.

"We are willing to take more than our share, if necessary." I translated.

Carlisle smiled. "We'll see how it plays out." He said.

"Do you know when they will arrive?" I asked.

"They'll come across the mountains in four days, in the late morning. As they approach, Alice will help us intercept their path." He answered.

"Thank you for the information; We will watch." I translated.

With a sighing sound, their eyes sank closer to the ground one set at a time.

Jasper took a step into the space between the vampires and the wolves. Jasper threw a wary glance toward Edward, who nodded, and then Jasper turned his back to the werewolves.

He sighed, clearly uncomfortable.

"Carlisle's right," Jasper spoke only to the vampires; he seemed to be trying to ignore us.

"They'll fight like children. The two most important things you'll need to remember are, first, don't let them get their arms around you, and second, don't go for the obvious kill. That's all they'll be prepared for. As long as you come at them from the side and keep moving, they'll be too confused to respond effectively. Emmett?" He said.

Emmett stepped out of the line with a huge smile. Jasper backed toward the north end of the opening between the allied enemies. He waved Emmett forward. "Okay, Emmett, first, He's the best example of a newborn attack," Jasper said.

Emmett's eyes narrowed. "I'll try not to break anything." He muttered.

Jasper grinned. "What I meant is that Emmett relies on his strength. He's very straightforward about the attack. The newborns won't be trying anything subtle, either. Just go for the easy kill, Emmett." He said.

Jasper backed up a few more paces, his body tensing. "Okay, Emmett, try to catch me." He said.

'This is so boring.' I said to Sam through the mind link.

'Like you could do better.' Sam said through the mind link.

'You know I can.' I said.

Emmett charged him like a bear, grinning while he snarled. Emmett was impossibly quick, too, but not like Jasper.

It looked like Jasper had no more substance than a ghost; any time it seemed like Emmett had him for sure, Emmett's fingers clenched around nothing but the air.

Beside me, Sam leaned forward intently, his eyes locked on the brawl. Then Emmett froze. Jasper had him from behind, his teet an inch from his throat.

Emmett cussed.

There was a muttered rumble of appreciation from the watching wolves.

"Again." Emmett insisted, his smile gone.

'You should try, Lai.' Leah said through the link.

'No.' Sam said.

'Show them the badass pregnant chick you are.' Leah said.

I smirked. "It's my turn," I said.

"You're pregnant," Jasper said, stepping back.

"Just pretend it isn't here," I said.

"Jasper, let her have a go at it," Edward said.

"But Edward, she's pregnant," Bella said next to him.

"I won't stop asking until you let me," I said.

I stepped up as Jasper sank back into a crouch facing me. I stood motionlessly, then he shifted forward and charged at me. I took a small step forward at the exact second that Jasper's body flew through the spot where I had just been standing.

Jasper tried to grab me from behind, but I moved again. I decided that I had enough of the mouse and cat game and slammed him to the ground and put my foot on his neck.

I smirked.

Everyone looked at me, shocked, but the wolves rumble of victory. No one had been able to beat Jasper like that before, and now they were anxious about what I was capable of doing.

"I think we're all done here. Thanks for the umm training." I said, smiling.

"What are you?" Edward asked.

"I said no questions," I replied.