Girl Meets Once

Maya

"Guys!" Riley came running into the living room where Josh and I sat watching TV. We looked up to find her holding an old looking box in her hands. "You'd never believe what I found."
"A box," I said sarcastically, "how fascinating." Riley gave me a dry look and squeezed in between Josh and me. Well it's not my fault I've been feeling a little peachy all day long.
"What's in the box Riles?" I glared at Josh for using my nickname for Riley.
"Well, it's not just any box- it's a memory box."
"What?"
"Yeah, apparently my parents kept photos of us as kids, and letters we wrote." She shrugged and took the lid off.
I peeked inside and saw tons of photos and papers with drawings and things written.
Suddenly, Josh reached in and picked one of the photos up, "Maya, is that you?" he showed me the picture with a little smirk playing on his face.
In the picture, you could see the little me, sitting on the bay window with a frown on my face and my hair picked up in tiny pigtails. I had cut my hair a bit shorter that day and Riley wanted to see how I would look with pigtails; of course, I thought I looked ridiculous, but Topanga and Riley thought I looked adorable and so they took this picture.
I rolled my eyes "Wasn't my choice."
"Yup, it was mine." Riley smiled proudly as Josh broke out with a laugh.
"You look so adorable;" he laughed again, "Never knew you had a fetish for pigtails."
I scoffed and took out a drawing from the box; it was Riley's, there were two kids in that drawing; one with brown hair and the other had blonde hair. Above it said: "Best Friends for Life" I smiled and showed Riley the drawing.

As Riley looked at the drawing with a smile, I saw Josh looking at a piece of paper with a small smile on his face. "What's that you have there?" I asked.
He looked up a little surprised, as if he just awoke from a dream. "Oh nothing, just some letter I wrote to my middle school crush, I can't believe Cory kept that. I wonder where she is right now." He shrugged and kept on looking through the box.
Don't get jealous Maya, it was years ago, and you promised you'd accept his offer...

"I'm going to look for more of these," Riley said and went out of the room, leaving Josh and I alone.
"These things are amazing," Josh said, "I mean it seems like so long has passed but it has only been a couple of years since these were taken." He showed a photo of me and Riley smiling at a baby Auggie who was playing with Riley's teddy bear.
I nodded with a small smile, god I wish I could just sit closer to him.
"Ha! Would you look at that", he laughed. "I never thought we had a photo together when we were young."
He showed me the picture and I couldn't help but smile; there were Josh and I, sitting on two swings and looking at each other, Josh was smirking while I had a tiny smile on my face.
"Seems like we lost that," I shrugged "Can't even remember that day." I bit my lip as he placed the photo aside and looked at me.
"Maya, I asked you for a little break, you know we need it."
After the Topanga's events, Josh and I came to a decision to take some time to ourselves, stop with the wedding and all, and think. But it just seemed to me like the starting of a break-up. I did not like it at all, though I agreed anyway because Josh thought it was the right thing to do.
Josh scooted closer, placed his arm around my shoulders and pulled me to his chest. "I didn't lose you, neither did you lose me."
I broke out of the embrace and looked at him, "I know it's just... 'a little break'- it doesn't sound so good, you know it's like..." he gave me a look and I sighed, "I'm sorry for what I told you yesterday. I don't think those things of you, neither do I feel that way."
He smiled, "I wanted to say I'm sorry as well. I went too far, and I love you, Maya." He placed his hand on my cheek, "you need to know that, but we do need a little break."
I nodded as I looked deeply into his eyes, "Yeah, but not too much.
He nodded and smiled again. He took his hand off my cheek and got up "But, we need some distance."
"Right," I said and got up as well, "of course. But, you know, it just doesn't sound right 'a little break'," I grimaced to prove my point, "I don't know, to me it sounds like 'I'm gonna go celebrate' if you know what I mean..."
"You know me, Maya; you know I'm not 'celebrating'." He air quoted.
I shrugged and looked down at my feet, I sure hope so.
"Look, you want to be more sure?" he said, making me look back up at his eyes, "We are still together, ok? But with a little distance you know?"
"You mean not acting like glue?"
"Exactly."
"Oh ok then, I mean yeah sure." I looked in his eyes and saw my face kind of pleading, so I asked the question that has been bothering me. "Can I have a little kiss at least?" I bit my lip in a hopeful way.
He shook his head with a smile on his face, "You're so beautiful." He said then leaned in and gave me a peck on the lips.
Just to be clear, I looked like a mess, since I helped Auggie make cupcakes and I'm pretty sure I still had some flour on my face.
"I'm gonna go to the bathroom, think you can manage staying all alone in here?" he asked with a smirk.
I gave him a dry look and pushed him away.