Chapter Ten

The next day, my eyes were puffy and red from crying the whole night. I had to put on more foundation to conceal the swollen look my eyes had. I searched for Sean in the morning but I never found him. My aunts told me that he followed the groom out somewhere. I was pushed around to follow the bride, so my mind was kept off Sean for some time. That is until I saw him again before the wedding rehearsal started. He never made eye contact with me from afar. I felt hurt, but there was nothing I could do but to go with the flow of the crowd.

                I didn’t get the chance to think about Sean and what happened the night before as everyone seemed to be in happy spirits and it was contagious. I managed to sneak glances at Sean and I saw him laughing and mingling with my relatives too.

                By the time we rehearsed the whole day, all I could think of was to crash onto bed. The next day was the wedding day, and I accompanied my sister as she was made up like a princess. She looked beautiful with a light pink layered dress, and a veil to cover her face.

                “Al, you look like a princess,” I gushed as she looked at herself in the mirror.

                “I know,” she said, smiling as I hugged her, “This feels like a fairy tale.”

                “It is a beautiful fairy tale,” I told her, “Your dreams came true.”

                “It did,” Alexandra said, as she pulled up the veil and looked at me concernedly, “I hope that your dreams will come true too, sis.”

                “I hope so too,” I said unconvincingly. I doubt any of my dreams will come true.

                “No, I mean it,” she said, “I can see the love in your eyes and Sean’s eyes. I hope to hear wedding bells soon.”

                “Oh Al,” I said, as tears started to spring my eyes. If only my sister knew the truth, “I will let you know when my dreams come true. For now, I want to see you get married to the man you love.”

                The wedding ceremony was beautiful, and I couldn’t keep my eyes dry throughout the ceremony as Alexandra and Henry exchanged their vows. After the groom kissed the bride, she threw the bouquet of flowers in her hand. I stood idly watching as it landed in my hand, when others were jumping to catch it. I looked at Alexandra as she winked at me. Does she need to throw it my way? I thought fondly as I watched my little sister walk to the tent hand-in-hand with her husband. I felt a twinge of sadness watching them walk together, as I felt all alone at a time like this with no one beside me.

                “You look beautiful,” I almost jumped up in surprise as I turned to see Sean smiling at me, looking astonishingly handsome in a tuxedo. I didn’t notice him at all until now, and he looked perfect.

                “You too,” I said, smiling gladly that he is finally talking to me.

                “I look beautiful?” he asked, frowning slightly, “Surely there’s a mistake there.”

                “No, I mean, you look very handsome today,” I said, as he held out his hand. I took it apprehensively as we walked together to the tent.

                “So you caught the bouquet of flower,” Sean said, as I looked at the bouquet in my hand.

                “My darling little sister threw it in my direction,” I said, “When others are supposed to be nervous about getting married, my sister is the only one who could think of making me happy.”