o1. nodha

❝  Human inertia induces us to believe that our lives will never change unless we relocate

Human inertia induces us to believe that our lives will never change unless we relocate.❞

- Kilroy J. Oldster

The move isn't that much of a surprise. Every few years Jeff and Carla Newton will decide to move when they get tired of wherever they're living. Since both of them work from home with a good income, they are able to indulge in this rather impulsive habit.

This time, the couple has decided to move to Forks. It's where Jeff's brother lives and after seeing Carla's sick mother, he wants to be close to his family. Carla, for her part, is excited to live closer to Jeff's family since they've never done that before. Down the street from her family, sure but not Jeff's.

There's an unstated goal in all of this as well. They want Laurel to get to know her paternal family and meet her cousin Michael. They've heard he's a social little butterfly and hope that some of it will rub off on their daughter who has trouble socializing.

That is how Laurel finds herself in a moving truck going from Las Vegas, Nevada to Forks, Washington. She's used to moving having done it so often in her 17 years of life. This move, however, gets her excited. They'll be the hot desert of the American Southwest for the rainy forest of the Olympic Peninsula.

Las Vegas has been torture for Laurel who, like her namesake, loves plants and nature, something Vegas lacks. Alongside that love is one for all weather cloudy, cold, or wet. In addition to the weather and wildlife, another startling difference between Forks and Vegas in the population or rather lack thereof in Forks. This is going to be paradise for the young Newton.

The Welcome to Forks sign is a blessing when the moving truck passes by it. Laurel is almost bouncing in her seat, eager to get out of the truck. Although she may love road trips and moving in general, being in an enclosed space with your parents for hours on end is not something any regular teen enjoys, especially when there's no relief from hotels because you're sharing a room there too. She's done with the experience and cannot wait to be able to settle in. And see the new house.

A two-story house is what the truck pulls up to. Carla gets out first and Laurel scrambles out after her, glad to be out of the truck. She takes a moment to breathe, enjoying the smell of nature, trees, life and to relish in the low murmurs in her head. The voices haven't been as loud for a while but stretches of road without civilization tend to do that. But this is where she's going to be living at least for the next year and already the voices are at a low. It must be a sign!

"Come on sugarplum, let me show you the house. You'll love it," Carla says, already walking up the stone path.

Laurel loves her parents but she isn't sure how true that's going to be. She's never truly loved a building they've lived in, at least not since she got into art and painting when she was 13. Most of the places were nice but Laurel's parents always get a two or three bedroom place. On the occasions they get a three bedroom, the third room is always used as an office of sorts. Laurel gets it, she does, but she wishes she could get a second room for all her art. Because she doesn't it means she has to push her bed and nightstand into a corner so that the rest of her room can be used for her art things. This leads to paint on bedsheets, homework, and quite often clothes as well.