Chapter one

It all started the night of the annual bonfire. As usual there was beer and drunk people all over.

"Hey Hazel."

I turned around to see my former boyfriend Matt Honeycutt stumbling towards me.

"Matt how much did you drink?"

"A little bit. Have you seen Tyler?"

"No and you drank more than a little bit."

"Come on Haze. You need to loosen up. Here." he said handing me a beer bottle.

"Fine." I said leading him over to a bench so if he passes out he won't fall and get hurt.

"Drink up Haze."

I put the bottle to my lips and tipped it back. The beer slid down my throat.

"Stay here. I'm going to find my brother so he can drive you home."

I walked towards the bonfire hoping to find my twin brother, Justin. Hopefully he wasn't intoxicated.

"Hey Hazel. Come over here."

I looked around and saw my best friend Jessica sitting by the fire.

"What are you guys doing?"

"Playing spin the bottle. Will you play?"

I knew Jessica wasn't asking. She was telling me I am going to play or we were no longer friends. I sat down next to her and she reached out to spin the bottle. It spun for a minute and it landed on Steven. They kissed and then she handed it to me. I spun it and when it slowed I closed my eyes. The group started chanting a name.

"Tyler. Tyler. Tyler....."

You have got to be kidding me. I got up and he came over. He smashed his lips against mine and I felt his tongue in my mouth trying to go down my throat. Ugh this guy is disgusting. I bit down and he pulled back.

"Ow Haze."

I turned around and ran away from the crowd and towards the woods. I didn't pay attention to how far I had run and that was a mistake. I tripped over a branch and I twisted my ankle.

"Fuck."

I looked around and saw nothing but trees. I heard footsteps coming towards me. I tried to get up but my ankle gave out.

"Shit. Who's out there?"

"Are you okay?"

I couldn't see who it was but I felt a comforting hand on my shoulder. I looked up and saw an unfamiliar face.

"Who are you?" I asked.

"I'm Jeremy Gilbert. I am not going to hurt you. I want to help."

"Okay."

"What happened?"

"I had to get away."

"Okay. Let me check your ankle."

"Okay."

He picked up my ankle and I gasped. That proved it was broken.

"I'm sorry. It is going to hurt."

I nodded and bit my lip when he put it in place. He put his arms under mine and picked me up. My feet hit the ground and I tried to keep the pressure off my right ankle.

"Hold on. Put your arm around my neck."

I did as he told me and I tried to keep my right ankle off the ground. When we got out of the trees and back to the bonfire he took me over to a bench.