Trick or Treat

Halloween night.

     The most fun night of October. One I was excited for, not for me of course, but for my daughter. Yesterday was her birthday and she had turned 8. Her name is Emily, Emily Rosewell-- She wanted to be a fairy this year.

    It was around 7:30 pm when we had decided to head out into the neighborhood. I had a plan set out and I planned to follow it to a T. Walking down the streets with Emily wasn't the easiest thing in the world, as she tried everything possible to get as much candy as she could. Walking faster than me, running up to houses even when they had their lights off-- that kind of stuff. Most of the houses were nice runs and soon enough I was carrying her pillowcase stuffed with various candies and sweets. I was surprised she wasn't getting tired as it had been at least two hours since we had started. I smiled at her as she skipped between the light poles and danced through the kids on their own adventures.

     We were on the way home when she had seen a shabby haunted house themed walkthrough near the forest edge, honestly... it made me a little uncomfortable. The oddly dim walkway looked rushed and no one was around to greet us. She ran over and called out to me to follow, follow quick.

"Hurry mommy hurry!" Emily squealed.

I just-- looking back, I just wish I had run after her. Run after her, grab her hand and lead her home. I knew this place was shady but I wasn't ready for what I experienced.

  I caught up just as she had run into the forest. 

  "Emily! Emily hunny wait for me please!" I called out hoping she would slow down or come back "Em wait for mommy!" I called out sounding a little more desperate. "Emily Rosewell- you come back here!" I tried to sound demanding but my voice wavered. 

"Mommy, hurry. Follow me!" She squealed once more before giggling, small feet hitting the dead leaves that lay about. Her footsteps started fading as I rushed to find the direction she had run off in. It was dark and all I had was my phone, a sack of candy and a small knife I always bring with me. I dropped the candy and reached into my pocket for my phone, taking it out and switching on the flashlight. The shadows of the trees loomed and the leaves cracking under my feet. The bright flash of my phone was my only comfort as I hoofed it throughout the forest. I called out a few more times to my daughter. 

  I heard her footsteps. They were close to me, I smiled and ran toward them before stopping abruptly. I listened close. These were not Emily's, they hit the forest floor hard with a looming hatred that suffocated my mind as I looked back to where I had come from. Well, where I think I had come from. I could see the lights of the neighborhood, the jack-o-lanterns, and many kids cheering and laughing in the distance. I turned back to face the trees. I stumbled backward as I notice the tall skinny man in front of me. He was about 6'2. That's around three inches taller than me. He wore tattered clothing and a wickedly wide smile. It stretched across his face, bearing his disgusting brown, jagged teeth. Even though I had kept a hold on my phone, and was currently shining the LED light onto his face, his clouded eyes didn't falter. They roamed my body and began smiling with his mouth.

     He slowly made his way over to me. The leaves themselves cackle as they are crushed under his thundering steps. For a man so skinny, the weight he put into his actions made my stomach jump into my throat. 

That's when the worst thing that could happen.. happened.

"Mommy? Are you over here?" My little Emily asked in her sweet angelic voice. As she came into view, the glitter on her now dirty fairy costume sparkled in the dim moonlight. My eyes widened as she rubbed her scraped elbows, looking at me before noticing the stranger. 

"Who is this mommy?" She asked before dropped her arms to her side, wincing slightly as the skin of her elbows pushed together. The man snapped his head and attention to Emily. He suddenly picked up the pace and started to run at her, being so close, he snatched her arm and began to drag her away.

I never want to hear those screams and the pushing of leaves as she put her feet out as an attempt to get away. My mama bear instincts kicked in. I leaped up, ignoring the pain that shot up around my tailbone and reached into my pocket. Almost leaping onto the fragile man, I whipped out a butterfly knife and shoved it into his shoulder. I heard Emily fall to the ground as I continued to stab the man's shoulder. The low, scratchy scream erupted from his throat.

I shoved him to the ground before backing up toward Emily. I picked her up and dashed toward home. I don't know what or who he was, but I regret not doing worse than I did. He is still out there. Please be careful and trust your instincts.

A/N

Hello. Yeah Sorry for the bad story. 

I will update with different stories ( Hopefully they get better hah )