Chapter 9

The day after the shower incident, Ryuk could not speak properly or rather at all for much of the morning. Every time (Y/n) looked at him, his pale face would burn crimson. His refusal to speak was stemmed from his embarrassment of the possibility of saying something he would regret later. There was no point in committing to something that would last a couple of days.

Yes, tomorrow is her last day. Why not make it memorable?

You don't have to remind me.

At least talk to her.

I might say something I do not mean.

So, you're not going to confess to her?

Why would I give her false hope?

You wouldn't, that's the best part.

Why can't you say something that actually makes sense?

The slightest noise disturbed his internal conflict and directed his attention towards (Y/n)'s bedroom. He glanced over at the table, realizing that she had finished her breakfast and had left him alone with his thoughts for company. Ryuk internally frowned at himself for being so careless with his daydreaming then floated into (Y/n)'s bedroom.

The girl sat on the bed with her phone to her ear, laughing at something the other person at the end of the line said. She did not notice the shinigami in the slightest.

"You're funny...No...Tonight?!"

She blushed at the statement. Ryuk narrowed his eyes and softly sat behind her on the bed.

"Brandon, please tell me you were joking about that date..."

Upon hearing the words Brandon and date in the same sentence, jealousy filled Ryuk. Reaching from behind (Y/n), he took hold of her phone and tossed it onto the floor next him. (Y/n) tried to turn to Ryuk, whom she finally noticed, to yell at him but was quickly cut off by his arms wrapping around her and his face nuzzling her neck. She froze in shock. Ryuk never gave affection, especially cuddling. Her silence prompted him to say, "Don't ask questions. I just need this right now." The girl smiled as he mentally facepalmed himself. She didn't say anything in response and leaned into Ryuk's abnormally gentle embrace.

Tell her

Ryuk closed his eyes and sighed, his breath tickling (Y/n)'s ear. Unwrapping one of his arms, he brought up a hand to tangle itself in her (h/c) hair. It was soft yet coarse. She hadn't brushed it that morning, so he took it upon himself to do the task for her. The action was soothing to (Y/n). Her face filled with heat as she turned her body in a more comfortable position and buried her face in Ryuk's chest. He clung tighter to her small body.

Why are these feeling so...human?

Soon the shinigami felt soft snores coming from the girl in his arms. He blinked in surprise. How could a human feel safe around a shinigami? (Y/n) hugged Ryuk's torso in her sleep and mumbled his name. Not wanting to wake her up, he leaned back and laid them both on the soft mattress. Unfurling his shredded wings, he covered them both, trapping (Y/n)'s body heat to warm them.

Ryuk lightly kissed (Y/n)'s forehead.

"I love you."

Author's note:

My school work has been killing me lately but fall break's around the corner!

(and I'll be 18 on Tuesday! <3 <3 <3)

Sorry for the short chapter!