Chapter Four

I collasped on the sofa. My housemate, a tall and slim blond in her early thirties, Lindsie Kreme, sat down next to me. "Coffee?" I accepted it gratefully. White, twi sugars. Good. She knew. "Jerry told me NYPD had a new recruit, and you had to teach her the basics," Kreme said, looking at me pitifully. "Jerry", aka Jerome Bennett, also happened to be my dear roommate's boyfriend for six months so far, in addition to being my partner.

I shrugged. "It's easier than I expected," I replied, sipping the piping hot coffee,"Mackie's a fast learner." I told her about Mackie's eager attitude, and how O suspected her. "It should be nothing, Mandi, she sounds like a good girl. You are just too on guard. A kid like her can't do anything to you," Lindsie answered, patting me on the back. "I already made dinner, so just eat and clean up afterwards," she added, gesturing towards the table. "Thanks, Lindsie, for always having my back," I told her. She waved away my remark dismissively.

I ate and washed the dishes. Then I went to the rain-box. The "rain-box" was what Kreme and I called the shower. I saw that she had already put out a set of cottony white pajamas for me. I smiled. Although Lindsie was the same age as me, she was like a mother, always caring for people in a mothetly way, so unlike my own. But I still miss my mother, and regretted not talking to her more before she was gone. My stomach fell and tears came to my eyes. "Get a grip on yourself, Lawrence. Everything's already gone. You have a new life now," I thought. I could not let the ghost of my past haunt me.

The warm water seemed to wash my dread away, and I soon felt better. I dressed into thr pajamas, and I felt as if I was wearing a hug. I thanked the amazing Lindsie Kreme again in my mind and went off to sleep.