(1! heather's apology)

‘Meet me tonight. I've been dying to kiss you all day ;)

-F’

Holden felt the corners of his lips turn upwards. He fingered the note gently before tucking it into his pocket and turning his head, looking towards the back of the classroom where his boyfriend sat.

Fred Weasley looked over his charms paper, not really reading anything. Feeling another person's gaze, he lifted his head. Meeting Holden's eyes, a smile pulled at his lips. He winked before looking back down at his paper as Holden faced the front again, his mind suddenly buzzing with delight.

It was a normal occurrence for the two of them to sneak around. Neither of them were really out yet in terms of the school or their parents knowing about their sexuality. “I suppose it makes it a bit more exciting, don't you think?” Fred had suggested one night in the common room, it empty bar the two of them.

The ginger had his head resting in Holden's lap, the boy shaking his head slightly. “It's also a bit tiresome. Don't think I haven't seen you yawn.”

“I told you, there was something in my teeth!”

Holden was in love with Fred. He had known for a while now, and he was just looking for the right time to tell him. Tonight will he perfect, he thought, his smile widening slightly as he scrawled down something random on his parchment.

His desk partner, Simon was staring at him as if he had gone mad. “Are you alright?” The boy asked suddenly.

Holden looked up, quickly making his smile disappear as he nodded. “Fine, thanks.”

Simon wasn't fooled. He shook his head slightly. “I've never seen you smile that much before. Do you have a fever, H? Shall I take you to see Madam Pomfrey?”

This caused Holden to glare slightly as Simon snickered, raising his hands slightly in defense. “Alright, okay. Don't mind me, I'm only teasing. Hey, you're still gonna help me study tonight, right? That empty classroom?”

Holden set his quill down, keeping his face impassive. “The last time you asked me to help you study, I walked in on you practically making out with James Ackerman.”

“I told you, he fell!”

“Mhm.”

Simon and Holden were an unlikely pair. While Holden was quiet and reserved, Simon was clumsy and unintentionally loud at times, usually annoying the people around him. It seemed only he and Simon's sister (and James, perhaps.) could only put up with him. And that was just barely.

When class ended, the two were both heading off to the common room. Holden repeatedly glanced back just to see Fred a couple of times, who grinned each time they made eye contact. His twin, George, rolled his eyes each time.

As Holden approached the portrait, he waved Simon goodbye, but not after the boy called “Tell my sister she sucks for me!” over his shoulder. When Holden entered the common room, he decided he would refrain from delivering the message.

The common room was filled with casual chatter, and he made his way over to the couches, plopping down and regretting his decision instantly when he realized who was beside him. The girl next to him bristled, suddenly beaming. “Hello, Holden!”

He had to refrain from cringing as he mumbled, “Evening, Heather.” It was no secret to anyone that the girl had taken a liking to him. Everyone knew how much she adored him; she made it painfully obvious to let him know each time they crossed paths.