Chapter 4

I woke up the next morning, and the nurse said that I was going to need to get surgery on my hand, wrist, and collar bone. She also told me that I needed stitches on some of the cuts, that I got from the glass. So she had one of the other doctors stitch them up. And then the doctors took me to get prepared for surgery.

They took me into an O.R.

The surgeons, scrubbed in and then came in the O.R. and asked me if I was ready. I told then yes, and the orthopedic surgeon told me what she would be doing, and then she told me to start counting backwards from 10. And before I new it, I had gone under with the anastesia.

I woke in my hospital bed in the ICU, and the doctor in the room told me that the surgeries went great, and nothing went wrong. I was so great full to hear that. I asked her if I would ever be able to play volleyball again, and she said yes but not for about a year, I was not very happy to hear that. But she also said that maybe I could right away, just depending on how strong I get in the matter of time.

Later that day, my brother and sister came to visit me, and asked me how I was feeling,they also brought me flowers. Then we started a conversation.

My sister asked me "do you want me to call the Olympics office and tell them about the accident?"

"Okay, sure that would be great" I told her.

She said that she would call as soon as she got home.

My brother then asked me, "do you still think you will be able to go to the Olympics, even after the accident?"

"I don't know, it depends", I said.

"Let's hope you do, because you have worked so hard", added by my sister.

The nurse then walked into the room with a lunch menu.

I told her that I just want some chicken noodle soup, and something to drink. And 5 minutes later she was back. The soup was so delicious, that I told her to please get me another. I was so hungry, because I couldn't eat breakfast before I went into surgery so I just waited until after. She finally came back and I was eating before I knew it.

My brother left while I was eating, because he had somewhere to go for work. My sister and I talked and watched some tv for a little bit until I got tired, and then she left. Then I went to bed, because I was really tired from all of the pain medicine.