Gaping Hole of Nothing

I started down the basement steps and I heard Keegan ask, "Are you going to tell me where you two are going?"

"Nope!' I replied before disappearing down the stairs. I hoped Phoebe got the message. It wasn't that I didn't trust her to keep secret things secret, but I didn't trust Keegan to leave well enough alone. I turned on the light and blinked as my eyes adjusted.

I saw Zane lying face down on the floor, his body still, the air heavy and poisoned with the scent of blood. I walked forward, but he didn't move. I couldn't even see if he was breathing.

"Zane," I whispered stepping closer. His body remained motionless. I crossed my arms over my chest and said, "Hey! Wake up!"

"Last night your and Phoebe's thoughts randomly disappeared...what are you hiding?" he asked without sitting up, his words muffled by the concrete beneath his face. I sat down on the bottom step and considered his question.

"Keegan is making tea for some reason, would you like a cup?" I asked. He let out a groan and sat up slowly. The front of his shirt was stained with dried blood and I'd have to remember to ask Keegan to bring him something clean to wear or perhaps I could get Phoebe to conjure something.

"You're changing the subject," he said his eyes locking on me. I forced myself to smile and I asked, "How are you feeling?" His brow furrowed and I heard a frustrated growl begin in his chest.

"Stop doing that!" he snapped. I rested my chin on my palm and wondered, "Doing what?" He shook his head and pulled on the ends of his hair. I couldn't tell if this way Zane or Anton or someone else entirely, but he wasn't screaming or catatonic so I was pleased.

"Stop changing the subject and stop blocking your thoughts! It's creepy!" he shouted. I almost laughed.

"You went nearly two decades without being able to read minds, I think you can handle this," I said. He stared at me and I could feel him searching for my thoughts, but I knew he wouldn't find them. I didn't know why I felt so sure of myself, but I did and I liked the feeling. Confidence suited me.

"No, it isn't the same!" Zane whined shaking his head again and letting go of his hair. "Before, even without feeding live, I would get bits and pieces of people's thoughts, scattered pictures and ideas but nothing really solid...when I look at you now I just see this big gaping hole of nothing! Like you're not even there and it's disconcerting and I don't appreciate it!" I blinked and there was a brief pause before I asked, "So you feel okay, then?" He face planted the floor and mumbled something unintelligible.

"Do you wanna cuppa, Anton, I've made plenty," Keegan said coming downstairs with four mismatched tea cups hooked around his fingers and Phoebe behind him carrying the big flowery tea pot. Zane looked up at Keegan and the expression on his face was nothing short of hostile.

"I don't want tea, Nancy boy, I want a nice hot mug of AB positive!" he snarled. Keegan rolled his eyes and said, "Fine then, be sour if you wish. I'll just go upstairs and have a cup with these lovely ladies without you." Zane stood up and glared at Keegan.

"Do as you like, Keegan, while I sit down here and rot!" he said throwing his arms into the air causing his chains to rattle. Keegan smiled and retorted, "Alright, back upstairs, my lovelies." Phoebe nodded and went back to the kitchen with the tea pot cradled in her arms. She and Keegan vanished upstairs and I made to follow them stopping briefly to look at Zane. He looked angry, but I could see the pain in his eyes. I escaped back upstairs and found Phoebe sitting at the counter spooning sugar into her tea cup.