Fish in a barrel

I do not own H2O! 

H2O

From Rikkis perspective

I woke early and immediately got ready to go out. It was warm out and it put me in a fantastic mood. I all but ran to Zane's house, excited to wish him a happy birthday.

As I got to his front door, I knocked loudly and tucked the small package into my denim jacket. All of my savings had gone into this gift. He better appreciate it.

I waited patiently for five minutes before knocking again. I waited. No reply.

Getting frustrated now, I tugged the handle only to realise that the door was open.

Smirking to myself, I let myself in and instantly noticed the pink heels that stood by the door.

Who is here ?I thought to myself. Zane said he would be home alone?

I jogged up the stairs and down the hall to Zane's room. I pressed an ear to the door but could hear nothing.

He is probably asleep I thought to myself.

I knocked lightly. No reply.

"Zane?" I said "Zane I'm coming in."

I opened the door quietly but quickly

"HAPPY BIRTH-" I began

But then I realised. He wasn't alone. Zane was sat up in bed with Miriam kissing him! There was wrapping paper scattered on his bed with a brand new skate board on the floor.

As soon as Zane saw me he tore away from Miriam and looked at me with a bewildered expression.

'It's not.... I didn't" he began

"Save it" I whispered, I had no strength to shout

"Happy birthday Zane" muttered Miriam before turning to me

"Sorry Riki, what can I say? I can tell you the truth. Zane loves me. Not you. You are poor and worthless. Why would he ever want you?" She said slyly.

She turned back to face Zane who sat speechless " I'm sorry she had to find out this way. Anyways I hope you enjoy your $300 limited edition skate board"

"Bye" she chirped and ran out of the room, down the stairs and out of sight.

Neither of us moved. I heard the door downstairs slam closed.

"She had to find out this way" I echoed

"Hear me out Riki" Zane began

"No Zane. She is right. I'm worthless and poor and no good for you. I couldn't even get you a decent gift" I whispered, tossing the small package at the bed.

"You're all I need" Zane said "please listen to me"

"NO! GO AND BE HAPPY WITH SOMEONE WHO CAN ACTUALLY GIVE YOU SOMETHING IN RETURN!" I screeched

"Riki"

"ENOUGH OF THE LIES"

"Riki"

"I SAID ENOUGH"

Without knowing I was screeching at the top of my lungs, with tears streaming down my face.

I stopped to touch the tears with my fingers. When was the last time I had cried?

Zane got up and came over to me and put his hand on my shoulder. I lay my hand on his. He smiled, thinking it was over. I moved slowly, to contain my anger. I pushed his hand away and turned to the door.