Part 6

"I'll make it work Ilsa"

Ethan charged out the door, leaving Ilsa to stand alone.

"Ethan!" She still tried to get his attention even if her attempts at stopping a man like Ethan were futile.

"Neither of you are going to help me?"

Walker shook himself off, swiping at his jacket before walking towards her and stopping in-front of her, nodding his head.
I instead walked towards them and then continued walking, manoeuvring straight past the pair. They stared after me dumbfounded.

"Don't you know Ethan from, I don't know, some other life?" Walker called.

"Maybe" I replied, still moving away.

"So why aren't you going to make sure he's okay?"

"Ethan was my only trainer, he's the one who gave me the training. The only training I ever use. And that training was to 'never merge with someone else's mission, even if they're your friend or loved one. If they need help, help them. But you clear off as soon as you have.' I have helped, now I am clearing off"

I pushed on the restroom door, leaving it to swing in my absence whilst the two left standing inside gawked after me.

Oh you do like being all dramatic and making a scene.

Having nothing else to do, I strolled over to the bar and ordered a drink. Pulling out my phone, I shot a text to an 'associate'.

Couldn't look more dodgy if you tried.

Barley seconds later, a call came through.

Shit. He never calls.

"Hello?"

I easily masked my caution under a confident demure as I answered the call.

"What have you done?"

"I'm sorry, I don't under-"

"WHY THE FUCK IS JOHN LARHK DEAD IN A TOILET CUBICLE?"

"Let me explain. It was nothing of my own doing, I don't even carry a gun-"

"DON'T YOU FUCKING LIE TO ME, HEMINGS"

"I swear on this entire operation, I didn't kill John Larhk"

"THEN WHY DID YOU LET HIM BE KILLED?"

The truth is your best hope right now, just tell it.

"He was dead before my arrival"

You've really fucked yourself up into the deep end of the shit heap, haven't you.

"You do realise, that this, this whole fiasco means you're still under my control."

Okay, I mean he isn't yelling anymore. Has to be good, right?

"Yes, sir"

"And that you will have a new assignment in the morning"

"Yes, sir"

"Good. It better get done."

As the line disconnected, I involuntarily released a breath of relief. My body shuddered with a small fear, but I shook it off all too quickly. I reached for my drink when I had a gut instinct. Or a gut realisation.

I'm not free.

He was still expecting me to act like his puppet. He was still trying to use me. Alec Bishop. The death of me. He was a notorious criminal, the worst in show. He robbed people, scammed people, terrorised people, exploited people, killed people and to top it off he was a booming drug lord.

And how was it you got involved with him? Miss 'Best infiltration agent the I.M.F has ever seen'

I was doing just that, infiltrating a hidden online network selling and buying drugs at an astounding rate. I was tasked to go into deep cover and I still haven't gathered enough to bring them down.