Chapter 1: The Escape page 1

It was a windy morning in the small town of Terimine Grove and I was awoken to the sound of soldiers. What if the rumors were true... could we really be at war?
The thought terrified the deepest parts of my mind. Each soldier was armed with a sword spear or bow.
The day was bitterly cold and the wind was harsh and dry. Our fearful mind circled in an endless loop of fear and shock. All was silent as if the entire kingdom had suddenly frozen. Each person seemed to hold their breath. The only sound was the clinking of the soldiers armor and the slight whistle of the solemn wind as it wiped through the air depriving all of water and warmth so desperately needed. My best friend and I sat upon a bench, beneath a large snow covered oak tree. Our eyes filled with terror as the soldiers marched. There was no question about it war had begun. When... we don't know; all we know is that we must hide.

Adriana POV
Michael is only one year too young to be forced into the army but if they find him the age limit might not even protect him. I can't bear the thought of loosing my best friend. We've lost enough people; the last thing we need is to lose each other. Michael grabs my arm, disrupting my thoughts. "What" I whisper quietly. "We need to go gather our things before the soldiers take everything", Michael whispers back. "You're right", I say quietly. We rush of to the barn and quickly pack up our few belongings.
      As we finish up packing tears begin to fill my eyes due to the wealth of memories that fill my head. Michael sees me cry silently. I try to hide my tears but it's to late. He stops what he's doing and comes to me slowly. Before I can say a word he wraps his warm arms around my cold body and hugs me tightly.

He says, "It's ok to be sad. I don't really want to leave either but we don't have a choice, you know that. I know it's hard but I need you to be tough, if not for yourself be tough for me please; I need someone to smile and show me that everything is going to be ok. Please do that for me."

"Thanks" I say wiping away my tears. "Michael just do me a favor and don't ever leave." "I wouldn't dream of it", he says in a soft caring tone.

~~~~~~,, Author's Note ,,~~~~~~

Hey I know this probably needs a lot of work and eventually I'll probably write a second book about what happened to them when they were kids but for now I'll just stick to two books at a time. Anyway I'm always open to suggestions so let me know what you think and if there's anything I need to work on.