Chapter One

Alexis Ford

"What the fuck?!"

Im very sure my scream was loud enough that it reached the end of the neighborhood but I didnt give a damn. Im sure anyone would be annoyed if their internet connection was suddenly having another drama.

I was having the time of my life in apex when I was automatically disconnected due to whatever reason the wifi has. Frustrated, I stood up and went to the router to restart it. I went back to my pc checking if the connection is back.

However, a nightmare appeared on the screen.

"Mom! I thought you paid the wifi bill?" I called out to my dear mother.

"How am I suppose to pay it if I cant even buy us dinner later?!" She quickly appeared on my doorway then left.

I sighed to her in defeat and shut down my pc. With nothing more to do, I went to my bed and lie down. Moments like this, I always feel how poor we are. My mom is working as a waitress in a diner and although I work along with her there, we still cannot afford to buy our daily needs due to hospital bills. Mom was diagnosed with leukemia stage 3 last 4 years ago and God knows how thankful I am that she survived. Even with her health insurance, it only made a slight deduction on her bills.

My father, on the other hand, I have yet to meet him. Mom and him were not technically in a relationship when they decided to make me. In short, it was a one night stand. Mom tried to locate him and inform about but after years, she gave up on him.

I felt sorry for her that she has to raise me all on her own with her parents gone after an accident happened to them and family relatives unknown. Yet I was greatful and feel blessed that she did not abandoned me when she has the chance.

After minutes passed by, I stood up and decided to visit a friend of mine. I went out of my room and told mom that I'll be going to somewhere else.

When I opened our front door, I saw two envelops on the floor. Sighing, I took it in and left it on the table knowing it was a letter from the landlord telling us we were beyond due date. We live in a small apartment in an old building a bit far away from the center of city.

It took me only 25 minutes walk to arrive at the front gate of a friend's house. I pressed their intercom and told their maid it was me. Then their gates opened and I went in to my friend's room.

"Hey Courtney." I greeted her and sat down on her bed while she turned to look at me away from her pc.

"Why were you disconnected? We won the game you know.. Well thanks to Kyle who carried me. " She said and quickly went back to face her monitor.

"We didnt paid the wifi." I simply said and took the book that was laying beside me.

"Oh... Dont worry, you can go to Kyle's and use his other one."

"Nah he would just kick me out of his house the moment I step foot there." I answered but I was exaggeration about it.

She didnt bother to say something as she was too indulge on the game even though she kept on dying all the time. After two hours of hanging out in her room, I decided to finally go back home as the sun was setting. When I arrived at the apartment, I saw my mom on the couch watching some news on our small tv. She looked back at me and then turned off the tv.

"I need to speak with you, darling."

I looked at her strangely and sat down beside her. Mom does not use the word "darling" to me when something serious is, were, or will happen.

I looked at her worriedly and waited for her to speak.

"I found your father."

"What?" I asked in disbelief.

"I found him a month ago but I wasnt sure if it was indeed him. But I send a letter and today, I got a reply."

I stood up and ran my hands on my hair. I couldnt believe what was happening. After 15 years, I finally heard something from him.

"What did you said? And what was his reply?" I look at my mother eagerly for her answer.

She gave me a sad smile and answered. "I told him about you and how you have to live hardly to survive. Told him also that I've been looking everywhere for him."

"And?"

"He was suprised and couldnt believe but he'll be coming back here on the 15th." She added.

"15th.... That's on the next two days." I said.

She stood up from the couch and put her arms around me for a hug.

"You're finally seeing him." She said and tears were escaping on my eyes.

***

The next day, I went back to Courtney's house to share the news. When I got there, not only she was there but also along the boys.

"You're all here." I said and sat down along with Kyle on the bed.

"Yeah. We figured you'd be here at this time so we all decided to hang out too." Dustin answered while Warren nodded.

These boys along with Courtney are my only cirle since middle school. We all became friends because of one thing, gaming.

"So, where is James?" I asked while I snatch Kyle's remaining donut and ate it quickly before he can take it back.

"He's off to somewhere with Scarlet again." Russel, a tall and skinny guy, replied while he was busy doing something on Courtney's pc.

"Oh." I said dejectedly while Kyle hit my head with a pillow for taking his food.

"Dont be too sad, Al. James will realize soon that his feelings are only for you." Dustin said affectionately while he patted my head after Kyle hit it.

After an hour of messing around with the boys, I told them about finally meeting my dad for the first time tomorrow. They were all suprised and happy that I was going to meet him tomorrow.

All of them knew of my struggle but despite everything, they were all kind to me. When they knew I sold my old pc last 2 years ago to pay for Mom's hospital bills, they reached out to help pay too but Mom and I declined their help. I didnt want to take advantage of our friendship but since they didnt take no for an answer, they decided to build me a pc.

Even with all the struggles, I am still thankful to have them on my side.