Jesi's Guide to Travel the World

It started out as an idea.

We were young, gullible, and free. He was a year older than I, and we met at a camp on the border of Canada and the US.

He a Canadian and I an American.

Although I never much cared for the term "American" so long as it referred to people only in the United States, because Canadiana and everyone else in North and South America are just as much of Americans as we are.

Now before we get too far, let's get something straight.

We are not a couple. This is not a romance novel. We will probably never be a couple. We. Are. Just. Friends.

Trust me.

I've checked the horoscopes, and the almighty gods of birthdays and zodiac signs have deemed us incompatible in every way.

Of course we're still friends... just with an off relationship.

The plan was to go after college, I was going to go to a four year college, and he was going to go for as long as his college funds could take him. He was very, very wealthy.  And I was very, very poor.

I'm not even sure how we managed to become, we just... did.

I was about halfway through my senior year when I got a call from Logan. It was late one night after a basketball game I had been cheering at, but I woke up when my phone lit up the room. Upset and exhausted, I answered.

"Jes."  Logan's voice said with great urgency on the other end.

"Hm? What's wrong?" I ask with my eyes closed and barely any grip on the phone.

"I can't take it here anymore."

"Can't take it where...?" I ask a little more awake now.

"College. It's awful." He sighs.

"Don't be so melodramatic."

"I'm serious. I'm done after this year. Leaving the country with or without you." He says with a tone that told me he wasn't going to change his mind.

"I have college..." I whine.

"Just for the summer,  we'll talk about everything else later." He says.

"I don't have that kind of money." I argue.

"I'll pay for you." He bargains. I think for a moment, debating on which answer would allow me to go to sleep faster.

"Fine." I say after a while.

"Fine you'll go?" He asks.

"Fine, I'll go." I confirm.

He laughs a little, "Get some sleep Jesi Jes."

"Christ, you too, Logan." I say wondering why in God's name is he up right now.

And that's how it all started.