Chapter 2 : London

"Didn't I tell you to get out of here?" Sterling chastised London Hunter. She twisted her lips and ignored him as she sat at her desk. "London, it's a Saturday and a beautiful day at that! Go enjoy it!" he told her. "I have a lot of work to do!" she told her boss. "When are you going to take a vacation?" he asked as he walked over to her and massaged her shoulders. London wanted to protest but the massage felt too good. "I don't know, Sterling," she closed her eyes.

Before she could sink into his touch and the stress-relieving technique, he stopped and sat in the chair next to her. "I can handle it, London, Jody's here. We only have—" he went through the files that she had on her desk. "...four more patients to see." London had worked for Dr. Sterling Dobson since he started his own practice five years ago. She was his medical assistant, office manager and file clerk all wrapped up in one.

She loved her job but Sterling consistently pestered her to take a vacation. "Go home, London," he ordered. "Make me!" she joked. "If you don't leave, you're fired!" Sterling threatened her for the millionth time within the past three years. She knew he wasn't serious and brushed off the empty threat. Sterling stood up, grabbed the patient's files from her desk and walked away. "Hey!" she let out a little yell.

"Go home! Now! Jody?" Sterling called for his other medical assistant. "Yes, Dr. Dobson?" the young girl popped out of nowhere. "Take these and guard them with your life! Do not let London get near them!" he told the girl. "Yes, sir," Jody took the files and left. London adjusted her scrubs as she stood up. She knew when she was beat.

She grabbed her car keys and walked towards the waiting area to exit the office. "That's my girl," Sterling smiled. "If I was your girl you'd let me stay!" she pouted. "Good bye, London," Sterling laughed. "Good bye, Sterling," London didn't bother to look back at him. "Enjoy your weekend and you better not come back in here until Monday morning!" He said.

***************************

London sulked in her car and thought about her life. Was this it? "Yes it is because you're boring...and a workaholic....just like dad!" Her twin sister, Paris had no problems telling her on a daily basis. London wanted more excitement in her life; she wanted to be more like her younger sister. "By two damn minutes!" Paris's voice echoed in her head. London laughed.

Her twin sister had the life that she wanted to live, minus all the men. She thought she found a little excitement when she met Shawn but he became accustomed to her bland life after a year into their relationship. Sterling tapped on her car window and London crossed her arms. "Why are you still here?" he asked her. London didn't bother to roll down the window.

"I knew you were out here. Don't make me call the police and have them escort you home!" he said. "I'm going!" she started up the car and drove away. She watched Sterling in her rear view window as he shook his head and smiled. She adored the man but she couldn't cross that employee/employer boundary. She valued her job, plus, he was going through a divorce. She didn't want to be the rebound girl!

Besides.....she had Shawn. Speaking of Shawn, she was in desperate need of a hug. Her thought wasn't completed before her cell phone rang. "What?" she answered the phone. "That's rude! Don't answer your phone like that! Especially when you know it's me," Paris scolded her sister. "Hello, Paris!" she put on a happy but fake façade for her twin. "That's better, Lucy! What are you doing?"

Before London could tell her to stop calling her Lucy, Paris spoke again.
"Let me guess? Leaving work?"
"Yes, leaving work, Paris."
"It's Saturday, isn't today your day off? Why'd you go to work today, Lucy?"
"I wanted to help Sterling with the patients."
"You two go out yet?"
"No, he's my boss, Paris. I can't go out with him."
"So what? Stop playing games with the man and ask him out already!"
"You know I can't do that."
"Why not?"
"Because I have morals!"
"Fuck your morals.....better yet, let him fuck the morals out of you!"
"Watch your mouth."
"Sorry, mother. But seriously, Londie, ask the man out already. How long have you been wanting this man? With his tall caramel ass! Damn he's a fine man."
"He's my boss, Paris. I'm not going to ask him out."