Jail room

Holding a secret by a thread, knowing that if it slips you won’t be able to recover from it. All will be broken, everything will be lost. Your whole life will be gone in an instant. So you hold on for dear life, never letting your guard down. It’s too late…

When you’re a teenager everything that goes wrong makes it seem like your whole life's falling apart, whenever it’s a break up, or just sending an important message to the wrong person. You break down crying, it’s like a reflex. 

I couldn’t cry, I spent my whole life crying. I knew I wasn’t going to be crying for a very long time. Not with these girls trying to break you, find out your weakness. Destroy you. 

You see everyone has a reputation in here; it’s created by what you’re in for. Whether it’s theft, break in, or even murder, on a scale it’s where it all matters. 

As I entered my cell, the smell of blood and bleach fumed through my nose. There was one worn out bunk bed against the wall on the right, covering some sort of chalk tally writing, a toilet and a sink to the left and a door closed with bars. 

I sat down on the bottom bunk bed which seemed to not be occupied. There was a girl with dark brown hair lying on the top, her face facing down on the mattress looking like she's sleeping. She too was dressed in the dull off black jumpsuit but it was tied down at her waist with her sleeves, her grey tank top with a bright neon pink bra was showing through. 

I looked down at the cold grey floor, which just had cracked tiles all over. 

“I smell new blood” the girl from above mumbled not bothering rising her head. 

“I guess” I said quietly, ignorance was rude my mother taught me and I felt obligated to answer her, even though it didn’t make sense. 

“Oh she speaks, well done. Normally when new blood comes here they're all quiet, desperate to find a way out. Remembering the maze that they took you through, plus the smell in cells doesn’t help” she laughed when saying so. 

“I have to pay the price for my actions, trying to get out of here is just stupid. Nobody has done it for ninety years and this place has four-hundred cameras working twentyfourseven with guards watching the corridors every fifteen minutes and twenty-five seconds, and even if you were to get out of here the field is covered with ten Doberman Pinscher who haven’t been feed properly and if you were to set foot on the field they would rip you apart. Oh and also an electric fence reaching two thousand volts, which is very close to an electric chair.” I replied. 

Knowing that it was probably best to keep quiet, it was too late now. 

The girl looked down at me with her red worn out eyes, she had scars on her eyelids as if her eyeballs were trying to get out of her sockets. She would have been so beautiful, like a model if it wasn’t for the scars. Jealousy fueled through my body thinking of how beautiful she is, but then I realized she must have done something to end up in here. I wasn’t going to ask no, it wasn’t any of my business.

“You’ve done your research.” She was still looking at me, taking me all in. 

“I’m Rose, and I’m going to be your cell mate for the foreseeable future. I’m not someone who gives a crap about any of your business, I’m not your shoulder to cry on, or someone to give advice. Understand? I have my own problems to deal with.” Rose said after a while.

“I never asked you to be any of that.” 

“I know, but you would have.” Doubt it.