prologue

As the moon stood high and it's silvery shine shone on to the black lake, the man, dressed in all black watched some swans swimming on it. Their pure white feathers seemed to glow silver in the moonlight.

It were full moon that night and it started to become Autumn. The leaves, coloured golden, brown, yellow, red and orange, fell slowly on the ground.

One swan swam closer to the man and as soon it's feet touched the ground, a woman stood at its place.

Her hair was silver and her skin so pale, like the freshly fallen snow in early winters. Her eyes were blue like ice and she walked with such grace towards the man in black.

"I waited for you." She whisperd, her voice soft and melodic. The man shivered. Her voice gave him goosebumps.

He stood up, a book pressed tightly to his chest. "I know and I am very sorry my lady. I've got what you've asked for." His voice was deep but soft. He bowed slightly and gave her the book.

He did not looked at her, while she took it, but as soon she hold the book in her own hands, he raised his eyes to look at the beautiful woman, that stood before him.

"Very well." She said, "As for your wish, it will be granted." She turned around and walked back into the lake.

The man thanked her and left into the darkness of the night. He hurried home, for the night was cold and it soon started to dribble. He did not want to be soaked wet, when returning home.

A slight smile of delight was on his face, as he entered the town and made his way to his old house.

His wife sat at the fire place. She had her eyes closed, being fast asleep. He prayed that the swan lady would keep her promise.

As he got closer, he could her the rhythmically breathing of his wife. He smiled

But then he hesitated.

In her hand was the feather of a swan, firmly in her grip.