THIRTY-FOUR

Welcome back, my friends... I do not own these characters, I just write them as a way to love and care for them. Italic parts are the reader narrating.

———FOLLOW ME FOR MORE STORIES TO COME!———

THIRTY-FOUR

—December, 1963—

Y/N nervously looked towards the back of the church, waiting. A quick glance to her left and she saw Steve standing there, looking nervous but excited as he watched the doors in back. In the third pew, Grammy sat, rocking Caroline back and forth in her arms. A wave of relief washed over Y/N.

When the doors opened, there was Natasha, glowing in a cream colored skirt suit and hat, a short piece of netting in front of her face. Y/N could barely keep the tears from flowing as she watched Natasha walk down the aisle with Bucky escorting her. Halfway down the aisle, Bucky gave her a little wink.

It was a beautiful service… and I was relieved that Caroline slept through the entire thing. Only a few short days before that, no one could have believed today would be a happy day. Nat and I were at the florist when we heard the news…

Not long after Caroline came into our lives, Steve got the itch to propose. I don’t think Natasha or anyone else was disappointed. Nat and I immediately got to planning - they both said they didn’t want a long, drawn-out engagement.

But November brought sadness for everyone. On the 22nd, President Kennedy was assassinated. It was like a wave of solitude washed over the entire country that day. Time froze. I wondered what kind of world had we brought Caroline into…

The day Nat and Steve got married, things started to feel just a little more normal again.

“Give me that little peanut,” Bucky grinned, reaching to take Caroline from Y/N. He leaned in for a kiss from Y/N before she adjusted the blanket over Caroline. “That went well… and you look gorgeous today.”

“Thanks, handsome,” she grinned. “I can’t wait for the hors d'oeuvres,” she said as they stepped outside onto the top step of the church. Bucky tightened the blanket on Caroline and laid his hand on the back of her head to keep her head covered.

“I’m sure you two have something special up your sleeve,” he smiled, his glance turning downwards, the smile sliding away.

Y/N’s gaze followed his and she made sure to wear her warmest smile. “Hi, Brock, how are you?”

“Doin’ just fine. Glad to see you both, I wanted to say congratulations on your little beauty here.” His rough voice was balanced by the grin he was wearing.

“Thanks,” Bucky said, his tone even and friendly.

“Aww, thanks, Brock. You look great, I’m glad we ran into you,” Y/N offered.

“It was good seeing you, too,” he said as he stepped around them. Bucky and Y/N continued on to the car to get to the reception.

Bucky opened the car door for Y/N, still holding Caroline over his shoulder. He smiled down at her, “You really are amazing, you know that?”

As I lay in bed that night, I daydreamed about what a beautiful day Nat and Steve had. I couldn’t have been happier that our best friends found their way to each other. It was the way it always should have been and we all knew it. Steve supported her and encouraged her in just the way she needed and she loosened him up like he needed sometimes.

The day was just what I needed… just what we all needed… to get back on track. All of our friends were there and it felt like it always did when we were together. Just like the old days.