Chapter 1

It wasn't like he was six years old. Murdoc Niccals has everything under control, from himself to his little sister. Everything. Under. Control.

That's of course, what he kept telling himself as the room was spinning.

He didn't know what time of the night it was, he was sure Noodle was still asleep. He hoped she was, if their father kept yelling like this she's going to wake up. That's what Murdoc was focusing on. God he could use a drink. Would that be wise after being caught like this? Probably not. The room was still spinning, and pieces of empty bottle glasses kept shattering next to him. He assumed his father was trying to aim for his head, but kept missing in his drunken state. He felt like crying, but everything hurt. God, he really hoped Noodle was still asleep.

"Fuck face! I'm calling you!" Murdoc's dad, Sebastian exclaimed. He was stumbling, and Murdoc willed himself to try and get up, or at least sit up. His elbows scraped on the broken glass, leaving a smear of blood, and he cursed, silently. "You hear me, don't you?" Sebastian asked again, voice softer but Murdoc didn't trust it. He never did.

"Yes, I hear you." He replied, and willed his head to look at his father. There was three of him, all twisting in and out in his vision. He felt like vomiting.

"Good." Sebastian snickered and smiled maliciously. "Teach you to go through my liquor again, bitch." He almost tripped while he landed a hard kick in Murdoc's stomach.

He couldn't breathe, the pain flew out from this abdomen to his throat, and the kick was enough to bring tears to his eyes. Don't scream, you'll wake up Noodle, he kept telling himself. Sebastian landed another kick in Murdoc's stomach and that one caused him to cry out. He silenced it as quickly as it came, and he was reminded of a dog. That made him want to laugh, how pathetic. He shouldn't have been caught with the liquor, he knows that. But he needed a drink more than ever, and Noodle was asleep. He didn't know his dad was going to come home early. Was that really his fault?

The third kick was the giant 'yes' he was expecting. He coughed, and a bit of blood pooled near his cheek. The floor was covered in glass, he reminded himself and duly noted that maybe laying his head down wouldn't be the best idea.

"Say it!" Sebastian spat. "Say you won't do it again!" His long, black, greasy hair was sticking to his sweaty forehead, and with every scream Murdoc felt his head concave.

"I-I won't d-do it," Murdoc tried, his mouth was filling with blood it felt, and it was hard to breathe.

"Finish. Your. Words." Sebastian commanded and kicked once more.

"I won't do it again," he rushed out and gasped. One of his hands went to shield his stomach, the immense pain going through his entire body like a migraine implanted itself on every nerve. It was a mistake, letting his guard down like that. It was a mistake. Murdoc watched, tears streaming down his face as Sebastian bent down to grab Murdoc by the fistfuls of his hair.

There was a thud.

Noodle.

Sebastian stopped, mid grab and cursed. "What is that brat doing!" he yelled, eyes wild and then zeroed in on Murdoc once more. "I thought you put her to sleep."

"I thought so too," Murdoc willed himself to say, and Sebastian raised his hand to smack him and then steadied himself. Noodle did end up waking up with all the noise. That's going to be fun to fix.

"Well, go up and check on her!" Sebastian said and slumped down onto the floor, the bottle in his hands sloshing whiskey from the rim. The bottle Murdoc was caught drinking out of.

Murdoc nodded and steadied himself to get up, slumping while doing so. His legs were weak. This was not the time, Noodle. Please, just be asleep.