Mind Matters: A Reader Response

It is true that the human mind is capable of amazing things, however as the essay discussed, it is also capable of choosing whether or not to believe something. This in my opinion is one of our minds' darker aspects.

People, if their belief on something is enough, have the capacity to go to great lengths because of that belief. Our minds' limitations, like what the essay suggested, are more often than not created by us. Closing our minds to other possibilities and limiting what information we process. Sadly, a lot of important and big political figures and activists of our time are often guilty of this closed mindedness. I could hardly blame them though. They have grown too accustomed to fighting for what they believe in that they have consequently groomed themselves to have tunnel vision, often being concerned with a singular problem or point of view. As a result, new information and or conflicting point of views are met with agression and defensiveness when in truth, it should be discussed without bias. They all too often close themselves from accepting new ideas and making compromise all because they have already policed what their minds are going to believe without examining existing facts first. It's also scary to think that this kind of bull headed determination and conviction to make others believe in their percieved reality more often than not lead to fascist, even opressive behavior without even being aware of it.

People should be aware of these tendencies, because in truth all of us have the capasity to be closed minded. We should be able to examine and rid ourselves of this mental "pollutants" and keep our minds open to all possibilities and any discussions regarding a topic of our interests. Our minds should be a tool to achieve and ensure the stabilty and harmony of our society and communities.

A/N: Don't forget to read the original essay (https://gomcgill.com/mindful-focus-matters/)