Chapter 4

Matthew grins when I open the front door. Even his teeth, white and straight, are perfect.

"Are you ready to go?" He asks. I yell into my house to let my parents know I'm going to go pick up my car. I shut the front door and we walk to his Volvo, which has a shiny new front bender. He opens the passenger seat door for me, like a gentleman. I thank him and get in.

"Hmm something seems different about your car." I tease as we pull out of my driveway. His face flushes at my joke.

"Hmm...let me guess, the pretty girl in the front seat? That is new." It's my turn to blush. I'm speechless for a moment.

"I know you mean my bender." Matthew takes his eyes off the rode for a second to grin at me. This only makes me blush harder.

"Again, I'm really sorry about all of this." His smile fades slightly.

"No, no I was just making a joke." I say hurriedly, hoping I didn't offend him.

We chat about ourselves for the rest of the ride. It turns out we both have musical interests. He plays the guitar and I play the ukulele.

We pull into the repair shop's parking lot and I open the door and step out.

"Thanks for the ride. I really appreciate it!" I tell him.

"No problem. I'll see you in school tomorrow, right? We both have fifth period English?" He says, looking up at me. I nod with a smile before walking over to my car. Matthew drives away. I touch the new bender with a smile. Maybe this accident wasn't such a bad thing after all?