Struck in the Club (A Never Forgotten Short Story)

STRUCK IN THE CLUB  (A NEVER FORGOTTEN SHORT STORY)

Mirage. The neon sign announced the dance club's name to all who passed by. Humans had such ridiculous labels for things. What inspired this one? There was nothing mirage-like about the low, plain brick building. The windows and doors, shaded black, made it nearly impossible to see what was going on inside. Muted lights in red, blue, green and yellow flashed behind the tint, and loud, pulsing music escaped whenever the door opened. It was a preview of the sensory overload awaiting the eager teenagers who stood in line. Kieran rubbed his temples, sensing the migraine building at the nape of his neck. He rolled his shoulders to work out the tension while he waited. How anyone could see this assaultive environment as a means of entertainment was beyond his comprehension. And yet, she would be here tonight. That was enough for him.  

If only he could get his companions to see things his way. Farren, Liam and Cole joined him willingly enough on the journey from their home near California to Nova Scotia, Canada. They longed for adventure, and he intrigued them with stories of David's half-human daughter. Once they arrived, however, Kieran made it clear that David's daughter was his target. They were simply brought along to assist. With that news, their eagerness faded. At the moment, they glared at him in accusation. 

"Alex would never make us come here," Farren complained. He was the most outspoken of the three. The other two grunted their agreement. 

Kieran checked his anger and sighed. There was no use irritating the men further, and he wouldn't admit that he had no more interest in this club than they did. It was simply a means to an end. Still, he couldn't resist admonishing them slightly. "My brother is not here, is he? Nor would it matter if he was. I am the eldest. You must listen to me, not him." 

It was unfortunate, really. As identical twins, Kieran won the right to rule by mere minutes. Yet his brother, Alexios, truly had the personality that inspired loyalty in others. His charisma and natural desire to lead gained him untold friends and followers. Kieran only managed to piss off everyone. His father originally thought he'd grow out of it, but after Kieran celebrated his hundredth birthday, even Stephan gave up on that notion. 

There was one thing Stephan did trust his eldest son with above all else - reconnaissance. Kieran's ability to uncover information and hidden motives was uncanny. He bested his own father's skills, and Stephen was a renowned warrior. Once Stephan made him an elder of their clan, Kieran headed every important mission. This excursion was no different. As close as Stephan and David were, Kieran knew his father still desired first-hand knowledge about David's daughter. The directive was clear. He was to find her, determine her level of power, and decide whether she was a threat to their kind or not. Simple enough. The problem had been getting her alone. Between David and his two sisters, the girl was carefully guarded.  

"Why are we at this hellhole anyway?" This time it was Cole who spoke. There was less bite in Cole's question. Of the three of them, Cole was the one Kieran most considered a friend. 

"We're looking for the girl," Farren responded before Kieran could. "David's daughter." 

"What are your plans with her?" Cole asked, his expression mildly curious. The other two looked at Kieran as well. He hadn't told them anything about tonight's mission. They knew that she was expected to show up here, but that was all.  

"Don't know yet." He shrugged and continued to search the crowd. It was an honest enough answer. He'd been tracking her for months, occasionally tapping into her thoughts. That was how he discovered she was coming here tonight. It wasn't the honorable thing to do. He actually felt rather sleazy about it. She was unaware of his intrusion. If he hoped to win her trust, he'd have to own up to his actions at some point. For the time being, though, his visits into her mind served his purpose. Like now, he thought and smiled to himself. An older silver car stopped next to the curb. The doors opened, and three of the four females struggled to get out.