The Parting Gift

Sitting alone in his room at the top of the castle, Alexander pondered life and death. He wondered what family was like, or how it felt to be in love. After all, he never had any interactions with women besides the maids throughout the castle. On a whim, he left to go have a drink at the tavern and meet people. "Wernin, this rounds on me!" Alexander yelled as he walked through the door of The Thorn Bush Tavern. At that everyone within cheered and started dancing and singing. Suddenly Alexander felt....happy. Happy to be around his soldiers, to just be around people. He picked up his glass of ale and drank merrily, dancing with his friends, as one fellow played an upbeat tune on the piano. "And we'll drink, then drink till we drink no more! Cause ale pleases better than any whore! Yes we'll drink right into the morning sun! Damnit man pour me another one!" They sang and drank all night long until the door busted open and the king stood there, looking about at the men. "Alexander come, there is a matter that requires your assistance." The king turned and walked off and at once Alexander followed, curious of what task he'd have to complete. Could it be an ambush on enemy troops? An assassination of an official? Finally reaching the throne room, a small elf woman with snow white hair stood waiting for them to arrive. "Alexander this is Selfina, the kingdom blacksmith. Though you two have never met before, you've been carrying her work around with you." The king pointed to the two katanas hanging off Alexanders hips. "Those are the only pair of swords made in that style within this kingdom. Now then to the matter at hand. Selfina says she knows of a cave full of some rare metal. The same metal those swords of yours are made of. The problem is that supposedly the cave is blocked by a group of mercenaries that set up camp there." At the word of mercenaries Alexander turned toward the door. "Selfina let's go get you some metal alright?" Once past the gates, Selfina tugged on Alexanders shirt slightly blushing when he turned to look at her. "A-Alexander you're the Crimson Demon aren't you? I'm a big fan of yours. I mean-! You know, because you use my swords very well. I just....admire that you can use them properly." Laughing at her attempts to compliment him, he reached out and patted her head smiling. "Thank you Selfi, I've never had a fan before. You made these very well if I must say, from craftsmanship to functionality." Hearing his praise, her cheeks grew a dark red. As night approached, so too did Alexander and Selfina to the cave. "Alexander if you can get me in there, I'll be happy to make you a fresh set of katanas." Nodding, he drew a dagger and looked out at the encampment scouting it out. Taking note of every mercenaries position, he slowly crept through the camp dispatching each threat. Once the camp was cleared, he slipped into the cave to make sure it was empty. Coming to the end of the cave, he turned to leave only to come face to face with a hooded figure. "You lost sir?" Alexander asked the hooded man, stepping back a bit. He noticed the man stood only up to his chest and wore a rather sinister smile full of....sharp teeth? Suddenly the air in the cave became stale and cold, then blazing hot as if they stood in the depths of hell. The hooded man finally looked up, his nose crooked and misshapen, and his eyes a glaring orange with slits for pupils. "You've finally come, Crimson Demon of Mandoka. Tell me, for a man, how is that you keep my lovely home so full of souls? You were born in the wrong body my child. Should have been a demon, yes indeed. Words of advice before I leave you a gift. Cherish the rose while you can, for it will be the thorn that dooms it." His words slid out ice cold and raspy. Before Alexander could get a word out, the hooded man appeared in front of him, impaling him with a hand through the heart. The world around Alexander grew dark and cold as he slowly dropped to the floor. "Sweet dreams, Crimson Demon."