Howling In The Night - Chapter 19

Forgotten Sandwiches

“Are you sure you’re alright to go home right now?” Kimi asked me in a hushed voice as we stood on her front porch, arms crossed over our chests to shield us from the harsh morning breeze.

Sighing heavily, I nodded. “I’m sure Kimi. I mean, I can’t hide out here forever can I? I need to go back home and face those two sometime. No use delaying the inevitable, right?”

Plus, I was a little freaked out by Kimi’s late night sleep-talking in another language – not that I told her that, of course.

“Yeah.” She nodded in agreement. “I guess you’re right.”

Squinting against the glare of the morning sunlight, I looked down the Nakamora driveway and across the street where, three houses to the left stood the house I’d grown up in my whole life.

Scratch that.

Since I’d been snatched away from my real parents when I was just an infant, I’d probably have lived somewhere else before, right?

Why hadn’t I thought to ask Kathy if she’d known where I was originally from?

Ignoring my current identity crisis, I returned my attention back to Kimi, who was currently running her fingers through her wind-tangled green-streaked hair.

“Well,” I started, nervously glancing back at my house. “Guess I’d better get going.”

“Call me if anything happens, alright?”

I glanced back at her, a sad smile playing on my lips. “Yeah. Okay.”

It took me a total of seven minutes to get from her driveway, into my house, past my TV-watching, fake parents, and into my room. Feeling as though every single drop of energy had been drained from my body, I dropped my book bag on the floor by the bed and collapsed head-first onto my pillows.

A loud beep from my cell phone forced me to open my eyes and sit up straight. It was a text from Xander wanting to know whether or not I’d made it home all right.

Answering quickly, I snapped my phone shut and shoved it into my front pocket as I hopped off the bed. Famished, I darted down the stairs and into the kitchen, where I proceeded to make myself a sandwich.

I was right in the middle of slathering a slice of whole-wheat bread with Nutella when I heard voices coming from the den.

“Are you sure she doesn’t know anything?”

Dropping the knife slowly onto the bread-board, I tiptoed over to the island to hear better.

“I don’t think so, Jeremy.” I heard Sarah answer. “She’s been hanging out with him for a while now, and she’s hasn’t been acting suspicious.”

“Did you keep a close watch on her to make sure?”

From where I was hiding behind the countertop, I heard my faux mother grunt. “Of course I did, Jeremy. I’m not an idiot.”

“And you’re sure she doesn’t know anything?”

“Well, she hasn’t acted out of the ordinary, has she?”

“No, she hasn’t.” My “father” hesitated a moment before adding, “Has she gone through the change yet?”

Raising an eyebrow at the sudden change in topic, I scooted closer to the kitchen entryway, thankful that I hadn’t made an announcement when I got back home. Who knows if I’d be overhearing this conversation if I had.