One Cold Autumn Night

A one shot.

* * * *

LIFE is tough. It does not choose, it does not prevail. It's a chase where up on the way, you might cross with struggles, or walk along with indefinite reason of existence, or maybe you dodge things necessary or not for some quite times.

As of mine, I'm never sure of what I've got here. Plain, monotonous, gray, dull and boring──you name it.

My name's Woebi, a girl who's trying to conquer nothingness.

Here now, I'm riding on a bus. Few people are sitting ahead while I'm in the rearmost row. My head's leaning on the window and just watching the streetlights we passed by, some houses, trees and couples of people walking down the sidewalk.

The seemed endless darkness consuming the whole city. Far from I know, I'm like a balloon, floating and spacing out. Conscious yet senseless moving.

A moment the bus stop near at the lamp post and a guy in black hooded jacket with a maroon beanie entered.
He sat two rows away from me.

He's got pale yet pretty face. Sharp nose and a mole on his right temple. I can say that he's cute.

But nah, knowing a person like him just looks the same as other people around. Abhorring me for no specific reason. People seemed distant from me. They make me feel like I'm a living virus who have to be avoided so they won't get infected.
Those thoughts and their actions stayed a mystery for my existence.

They don't tell me why. They wouldn't give any word. They just kept doing so.

I tilted my head over the window and watch as the gleaming moon as though following us unceasingly.

From time to time, the bus stop and passengers getting in and out. A moment then, every vacant seat ago was mostly occupied except the seat next to me. Not so long minute, another passenger get in. Staring at the seat next to mine but then chooses to just stand up and hold on a handle above.

I notice how the guy in maroon beanie offered his seat to that girl and then transferred next to me. I was surprise not just by him being gentleman but also by daring to come near me.

I heard him humming a song which says, "I don't give up on us~" something like that. I don't have idea of what title it has. Well, he has a headset plug on his ears.

Hours passed through, but I am still in this bus. Almost all passengers had left away. Not the guy who's still sitting beside me.

"When will you going to leave this bus?"

I was a bit abrupt by his sudden question. I'm certain that he's referring to me 'cause there are just the two of us here other than the chauffeur so I answer, "As long as he won't ask me to go out," I said referring to the driver.

He removed his headset and stares at me.

I finally had the chance to look at his face clearly and entire. He is handsome, indeed!

"Trying to escape something, eh?" he mumbled and wince.

"Why did you came up with that idea? Or it's just so....Do you," I then fixed my backpack and hug it tight. How I love my bag.

"Whatever. That's the only way I can. With this fine cold fall night helps me gain life."

"Hah?" I didn't get his point or his last word. Gain...what???

"At the moment, I feel like I'm alive. Err...this just feels real life."

"Come on, I don't get you, really," I declared my thoughts finally. Playing with my fringe, and then glance over him.