Remember Me

Ericka's lip quivered and tears streamed down her face. She could see everything that Emma was saying. She could see the house burning, her parents dying, and Van Helsing leaving Emma in the yard to die. She could remember being taken away in fits of screams only to be told to be quiet because this was no way for a legacy to behave.

"Emma," Ericka let out sobs as she walked towards her. She longed to apologize. To take back all of the missed years caused by their Grandfather, but words escaped her. An apology could not make up for everything they had gone through. Her tears drowned her cheeks and her body quaked from her deep grief.

Yet, Emma couldn't have been happier. She ran towards Ericka and embraced her. The pain of the last twenty years melted in their embrace. Finally, they were together again. Finally, they could rebuild their once precious relationship.

"Do- Do you remember me?" All of her heart was tied up in this question. Everything Emma had longed for her entire life. And, Ericka nodded. She said yes. She remembered! 

Slowly, Ericka began to withdraw from the embrace. Cupping Emma's cheek in her hand, Ericka gazed into her eyes remembering her happy sister playing with her all those years ago. Yet, she also remembered seeing her bleed on the burning lawn of their first home.

"I am so sorry, Emma," Ericka sobbed, "I didn't mean to forget you. I just - I... Will you ever forgive me?"

"There's nothing to be sorry for," Emma gently touched Ericka's hand. She knew it wasn't Ericka's fault. If anything, it had been her own. Yes, her own; yet, more-so Van Helsing's. But, Emma reminded herself, he wasn't the focus now. Ericka was and she finally had her - her sister - back. "I'm so glad you remember me. I love you so much, Emma."

"I love you, too." Ericka said as she wiped the tears from their face. There was a pause as the two held each other's hands and took in the sight of the other. Then curiosity crept into Ericka's mind, "without our family, where have you been all these years? How did you survive?"

Emma shifted uncomfortably unsure if she wanted to make her sister feel the pain she'd been through in the past twenty years. None of it had been Ericka's fault, but Emma was sure that Ericka had taken enough pain upon herself for one day.

"Perhaps we can talk about that another day," she offered with a small smile. "I don't want to dwell on yesterday. We have this beautiful gift of today! Why don't you fill me in on your Zing?"

The two of them giggled as excitement twinkled in both of their eyes. And their giggles burst into roars of laughter when Dracula cleared his throat. Spending time with her newfound sister was all Ericka wanted at that moment. Besides, all her questions would eventually be answered. 

But, there was one problem that needed to be solved. One that interrupted their beautiful moment with its chinking chunking and nonsensical humming from right outside the room. What would be done with Van Helsing?

"Ericka, I really want to connect with you and be your sister," Emma spoke sweetly, trying to conceal the storm raging within, "but I think we can both agree that Van Helsing needs to pay for his crimes. I can hear him right now. He may be spying on us or worse."

An unexpected and sudden cold air passed between the two as the words hung around them. Ericka had forgiven her Great-Grandfather for everything he'd done because he was her only family. But that was before she had learned all of this. She felt a strong hate begin to bubble inside her heart. However, she did her best to conceal her emotions so that Emma wouldn't react too rashly. Van Helsing still needed to be questioned and his crimes proven. It was a good thing that being part of the service industry allowed her to appear calm even when she felt like she was on the verge of death. 

"Emma," Ericka finally spoke, "he's really changed a lot since then. He- he's so old that he can't even do anything! There's no point in killing him. We should just let him live out the rest of his life until he dies naturally... Right?"

Ericka was only trying to buy time so they could expose Van Helsing to the world for who he truly was, destroying his precious legacy. Yet, Emma collapsed into the chair as she processed Ericka's request. She wasn't angry or upset. She was simply disappointed. She wondered if the lives lost due to Van Helsing's hate didn't matter at all to Emma? She thought about the fact that just a month ago he attempted to kill her. Had that not phased Ericka's love for him?

Though this thought shook Emma to the bones, she did understand that Van Helsing was the only one there for Ericka throughout her childhood. Surely that bond was strong and emotions surely would clearly cloud her vision. Slightly begrudgingly, Emma decided she couldn't risk her relationship with Ericka over revenge. Yet, she knew she had to do her best to expose Van Helsing to her sister and to everyone else as well.

"I can't say I understand completely," sighed Emma as she looked towards Ericka, "but you are the most important person in my life. So, I'll try. I'll try to see what you see in Van Helsing. Even though I don't believe it now, and despite the fact that I hate him with every fiber of my being... Really, we can talk about this more another time."

Ericka nodded understanding Emma's frustration and being relieved that she was willing to put of Van Helsing for now. Then Dracula, who had remained silent, finally spoke up.

"It's been an eventful day thus far for everyone, yes?" He took his usual place next to Ericka, "Emma, you must be quite tired and in need of time to process everything. Why don't you take this room and rest? This evening, Ericka and I would love to show you around Transylvania."

Emma agreed; so, Dracula and Ericka left her.