1

It's Monday morning, 6am and it's raining. Is it just me or there's really something about the rain that's so relaxing? 9am ko dapat pumunta sa school pero maaga akong nagising. First day of classes, but I'm not really that excited. 'Yung pwesto ko ngayon, parang iyong mga imahe na makikita ninyo sa mga Tumblr pictures online. Sitting down by the balcony with a cup of hot cocoa in hand while watching the rain as it pours down.

The rain...Whenever I think about it, I always find it to be one of the romantic creations of God. Bawat patak ng ulan, parang may iba't-ibang nota silang pinapahiwatig. Kaya siguro masarap pakinggan ang tunog ng ulan kasi it's a love song for us. Then there's the cool wind would always caress our skin so gently as if we're something really precious. Para bang He's always reminding us that we should be handled with care. Very romantic, right?  

I feel so calm at the moment. I haven't felt this calm for quite a while now. Kung pwede lang sanang hilingin na palagi nalang umulan ng ganito kaso hindi pwede kasi baka bumaha sa buong mundo kung walang tigil ang pag-ulan, 'di ba? Thoughts and realizations are playing inside my mind right now. Automatic na yatang nagiging sentimental ako kapag umuulan.

I take a deep breath then slowly let it out. Nakakapagod maging "perfect" sa paningin ng maraming tao. Wala rin naman akong magagawa dahil I was born as someone with high expectations from everyone. Since day 1, that has always been my destiny. Being the heiress of the Melendez family, of course it would be a really big deal especially in the beau monde.

Beau monde is an exclusive society ONLY for the richest of the richest. When I say, richest of the richest, I literally mean it. What you see in the movies like Crazy Rich Asians is real. That's the kind of lifestype that the people from Beau monde have. Sinasabi nila na sobrang mapalad ka kapag kabilang ka sa lipunan na ito. Beau monde has been existing for more than 300 years already and it has always ruled by five of the oldest and most powerful, half-Filipino families in the world. 

The Cheung's. Number 5 on the list. They're known in the fashion world. They're very serious with what they're doing and really competitive. All of the finest quality clothes that money can buy, they're the ones responsible for creating them. They never mess around especially when it comes to their work. They always want to be the center of attention. Who can blame them, though? They're half-Chinese and maybe being competitive just naturally runs in their blood.

The Denholm family are 4th on the list. They're half-British and they rule the medicine field. Pamilya ng mga doctor simula pa noong unang panahon. Wala pang ni-isang miyembro ng pamilya nila ang lumihis sa linya ng medisina.

Number 3 on the list are the Fray's. Half-French and they are in the culinary field. They can woo anyone's palete. Name any cuisine and they will surprise you. Isang tikim lang sa isa sa kanilang mga chef d'oeuvre, you would surely want more.

2nd is the Hughes family. Sila ang top 1 na nagpapatakbo sa showbiz and music industry. Sobrang talentado ng pamilya nila. They're half-American and they're very care-free. From dancing, singing and to playing instruments, walang makakatalo sa kanila. They were all born to be entertainers. Maybe that's why almost everyone loves their presence because they know how to capture your attention. Palaging magka-away sila ng mga Cheung's dahil siguro na rin sa spot-light. Like what I've said, that Chinese family loves being the center of attention.

And lastly, Melendez. Our family name is not a joke at all. Everyone looks up to us with respect. Top one on the list meaning, we are the most powerful family that runs Beau monde. We have Spanish blood in our veins. We own the business world. No one can ever beat Carlos and Victorina Melendez when it comes to business. My parents have all of the connections that you could ever think of. Bihasa na sila sa kung paano paikut-ikutin ang pera. Lahat ng strategies nila sa business, siguradong mauuwi sa "closed-deals".

That's why being me is very tiring. Nakakapagod maging isang Madeline Melendez. At the early age of 7, I was already exposed to the stressful environment of the elites. Lumaki akong tinuturuan ng mga bagay na kailangan ko daw palaging isa-isip para makasurvive sa mundo ng mayayaman.

Image is important. Palagi nilang sinasabi sa akin iyon. It's like the main essence of your existence. You need to keep up a good image because a lot of eyes are on you. Maraming nag-aabang sa downfall mo dahil ikaw ang nasa pinakatuktok ng social pyramid. Kaya one wrong move, you're dead.

Social status is important. You need to stay on top. You have to defend your crown or else if you're not careful, you'll suddenly find yourself at the bottom. And when you're a part of Beau monde, you wouldn't want that.

Money is important. Of course, money. Diyan naman tumatakbo ang buong society. Without it, Beau monde would never exist. In this society, it's usually money that defines who you are. The more money you make, the more powerful you are. Mas maraming pera, mas nagiging importante ang role mo sa lipunan na ito.

I smiled bitterly at the thoughts that I'm having. Why does my life need to be this complicated? It's suffocating most of the times. But there's always two sides of the coin, right? Mayroon din namang perks ang pagiging isang Melendez. I get to buy anything that I want, when I want it no matter how expensive it is. I can go anywhere that I want to go to without thinking of the expenses. Everyone wants to be my friend because I'm at the top. That's why when I ask for favors, I always get it. I get to wear the best and most expensive clothes because as the heiress of the Melendez family, I need to look presentable as possible dahil kailangan ako iyong palaging nagsta-stand out sa lahat ng tao. Life of a princess, sabi nga nila. But I feel like a princess locked inside a tower.

Beep. Just received an iMessage.

From: Louiesse Fray
Mads, u up? Be @ school exactly at 9, lryt?

I groaned after reading the message. Kailangan naming dumating on time kasi general assembly ngayon for the whole Beau monde University.

Yes, the society has their own school. Exclusively for the children of the elite families that are included. Every start of the school year, just like any other school, nagkakaroon ng general assembly. Pero sa general assembly ng BMU, pinapakilala palagi ang mga anak ng top 5 families ng society.

I honestly hate it. I don't like being bragged in front of others. And it's because my mom raised me to be like that.

"I would rather let other people praise my daughter instead of me praising her. Let them do the talking for you instead of you bragging things in front of others." She would always say that. My mother is one of the most humble people that I've known in my entire life. Despite all of the fame and her achievements, she managed to keep both of her feet on the ground. 'Yun ang isa sa mga katangian niya kung bakit mahal na mahal siya ni daddy.

As much as I want to ditch the general assembly, kailangan naandoon ako. It has always been tradition of the university to show off the top 5 elite children. I can't do anything but to follow the rules. Like I've said, image is important. I need to meet their expectations. Ayoko rin namang maging disgrace sa family namin. I don't want to let my parents down.

After I took my final sip from my hot cocoa, I couldn't help but sigh deeply. Alam kong kailangan ko nang mag-ayos para pumasok. This is going to be another long day. Another day to face reality. Another day to endure.

Kung pwede lang ihinto 'yung oras para matagal pa kong magmasid sa ulan. But reality is a killjoy.

I stood up from my seat and closed the door of the balcony. I took one more glimpse of the gray sky and wished silently in my mind.

I wish this year would be different...